Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am Installing a c-4 transmission on a 289. Do you guys know of any step by step instructions on how to do this properly. I did it wrong the first time because i mounted the torque converter to the engine first. I read my haynes and chilton manuals but they are not too descriptive. If you guys have a hyperlink to a website or have the time to type it out I would be gratefull. Thanks.

Sincerly,
Hopelessly lost under my car.:tongue

·
Registered
360 Posts
No link, but I have done a couple. What exactly are you having trouble with?? What is your auto experience level? Not poking fun, just need to know how basic to make the info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just a little above begginer

I am a trial and error type of guy when it comes to most things. This is my first vehicle restoration. Its a 64 1/2 coupe. I know how to mount the tranny to the engine. I did that. But when I tried to shift the engine into drive, nothing happend. I was told by my friends that i didnt install the torque converter properly I mounted the torque converter to the engine, then I lowered the engine into the car and lined up the torque converter to the tranny and bolted it right up. I have been told that I need to do it differently. But I cant seem to find any liturature or info from anyone. Also, where can I find a tool to adjust the ban's? Any info would help

A

·
0 Posts
The torque converter is where you went wrong. Put the torque converter on the tranny, not the engine. Lower the engine into the car and then bolt the tranny and engine together. Once done, use the little access plate to put your flywheel to torque converter bolts in there. Pretty simple, I don't think you'll have a problem now that you know to put the converter on the tranny instead of the motor.

Also, make sure that the converter fully seats on the input shaft. Lube the shaft up with white lithium grease and move the tranny back and forth all the way down the shaft. If it slides down easy, you probably have to push it down a little further, because they're pretty tight in the transmission.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installed

Hey thanks man. It bolted right up with no problems. Now, on to the drive shaft. Is it true that you can install 180 degrees upside down? If so how do i figure out which way to install? Trial and Error? I was reading my chilton and it said that if I have vibration then to rotate it. I will get this drive train installed this weekand! Wether it kills me or not. :dunce:

A

·
0 Posts
I guess I don't really understand your question. To install your driveshaft, you slide the transmission yoke into the tranny, then bolt the U-bolts over the U-joint on the rear-end side of the driveshaft. There's only 1 way for the U-joint to go in the rear-end so you can't lose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.