Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered a fuel filter to hopefully solve the problem I am having with my 65 hesitating and sometimes even cutting off on me. I am just now getting into the mechanics of cars and I have heard that the early mustang engines are very basic and easy to work on. Could anyone help me in what I need to do to install the fuel filter? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
17 Posts
You did not state what kind of motor and whether we are talking about the standard fuel filter. I assume it's standard configuration. On most, the fuel line is rubber with clamps, just remove it. Then screw out the old and screw in the new. Be careful about over tightening so you don't crack the carb housing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
ya piece of cake....id advise getting a clear filter next time perferably glass though as you can then see if the filter if filling up with gas if your having problems starting it...also a backup gas guage :p....but yeah just make sure you dont over tighten and if you dont want gas all over prop the line up going into the filter (fromt the fuel pump) up on something as it will spill gas if you take the clamps off and let it fall...good luck:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
It's a 15/16" wrench needed to change the stock filter. It would be a good idea to change it if it hasn't been in awhile, it's like $3-4 at NAPA and comes with new clamps and short section of fuel hose.

·
Registered
230 Posts
When you go to remove the main fuel line (not the line from the carb, you DON'T need to remove the one coming from the carb), kink off the hose before you take it off so that you don't get a fuel spill and then just stick a bolt in the end of the hose and tighten up the hose clamp. This way you can just let the hose dangle and not have to worry about it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just changed my this Saturday and it took 10mins. Easy as pie.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Make sure you don't over tighten! You can bust the threads off in the carb and then you have big problems. Spoken from experiance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts