Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1969 mustang that needed all new wiring. I took out the old wiring and have installed the painless kit. I started testing the system i had headlights and hi beams. Then i tried to start the car. My buddy said he heard a pop and then we had nothing no lights or anything. Did we overlook anything? I think we had everything connected right. Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Sadly, everything was not connected right. But this happens to everyone! Me included.

I'd pull out all the fuses except those required to start the car. Get it started then start adding fuses one by one until one blows. That shows you what circuit you have to trace/fix.

This is extremely general in terms of a solution because you offer little in the way of specifics other than the headlights not working. Do some troubleshooting and get back to us with some more info. Confirm your wiring connections with the diagram supplied with the kit.

Good luck. Or persistence. Whichever works for you best. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ok here is an update...I am helping him out with his mustang. We got all the lights and everything to work...it wasnt connected right. :run_over: after i reconnected a few things and everything that we have connected works we tried to start the car. This time it cranks but it wont start. I dont think we have spark and that causes me to think that there is a resistor wire somewhere in there that causing the problem (it has a petronix). What are your thoughts? Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok we are working on it again. We are getting 12 volts to the positive side of the coil but only about 8 to 10 volts to the negitive side of the coil. Are we missing something? any help is appreciated

·
Registered
831 Posts
I dont know how the painless harness is set up, but you should have 12v at the coil only while cranking with the stock harness and about 9v with the key in the run position. The coil is normally fed voltage via the pink resistor wire, hence the voltage drop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok all of the volts were within spec. We were trying to start it and we were so close then we have no power to anything anymore. No headlights or anything anymore...im desperate now any thoughts?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Time to start from square one. Using the list of circuits, you need to go back and check each and every one for proper installation. This is not fun, but it is necessary to determine what the problem is. Don't rush this. Take you time and THINK about what every circuit does, then make sure it does that.

Check your grounds. If there is paint between the connector and the body, you have a poor ground.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it, it was the ground cable from the battery. The only thing i didnt check. I now have lights, and a spark when trying to start it. I should have it started up by tomorrow night. Thanks for help. Im sure i will get back to you soon. Thanks again!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Ground issues are the most prevalent electrical issue our cars face.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Here is a write I copied a while ago that I followed getting ground on my 70 straightened out:

one of the best modifications anyone can make to any vehicle is setup a good ground location.
go to your local parts store and get a few items:
get a custom junction box. actually the best thing to use is a gold plated junction box for a sound system. and mount the box somewhere near the battery
1/0 gauge copper wire (In Black) for a ground from the block to the junction box
get another short 1/0 gauge wire to connect the battery ground to the junction box.
and then either a 1/0 gauge or a 2 gauge wire will work to make a chassis/body ground.

now that this is complete you have really helped complete a grounding system for your vehicle and also created a central unit to run extra ground wires for ensured grounding

1 - 12 of 12 Posts