Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stainless steel headers and h-pipe with no catalytic converters. It's inspection time and I want to pass with no problems. I want to put the catalytic converters after the h-pipe because I will be getting rid of it for a turbo system. I also think it will be much easier to install in the steel pipe rather that cutting up my h-pipe which I will be selling for the turbo. I've not seen this done yet and was wondering if it sounds like a good idea?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Are you trying to pass a visual or a pipe test. It is to far from the motor to create enough heat the cause the catalyst to heat and burn the excess fuel vapor. So it would still faill a pipe test. But a visual it should pass. It will still get very hot many people have learned the hard way after melting the carpet that they should have installed some type of heat shield above it also keep it far from fuel lines. You will also have to install your 2nd o2 after it to be legit.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Technically you will fail visual if you have the cats placed anywhere other than stock. It's just up to the person doing the inspection whether you pass or not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not too worried about the visual part the shop doesnt care about that part...I am concerned about the heat and the cat working though and I was planning on installing the rear o2's back there.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Other than stock... I have been getting my car with no cats inspected by high school boys that wouldn't know a stock part to save their lives. I remember when they tried that with hid's. They tried to say if they didn't come factory then they where illegal. That didn't last long. How are they supposed to know if they came on it or not. Yes me and you could tell but sadly they can't and some people take their cars there to be worked on. Lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Other than stock... I have been getting my car with no cats inspected by high school boys that wouldn't know a stock part to save their lives. I remember when they tried that with hid's. They tried to say if they didn't come factory then they where illegal. That didn't last long. How are they supposed to know if they came on it or not. Yes me and you could tell but sadly they can't and some people take their cars there to be worked on. Lol.
lol I was thinking the same thing they just care about the computer saying I passed.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You will only need to pass emissions for NJ. No visual or anything but you already knew that haha. I have stock h-pipe if you want it. 80 bucks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will only need to pass emissions for NJ. No visual or anything but you already knew that haha. I have stock h-pipe if you want it. 80 bucks.
Thanks but I have one already I'm just trying to solve the problem for when I have the turbo system as well which uses a y pipe

·
Registered
985 Posts
IN CARB states, normally changing the position of the cats will result in failure and possible Gross polluter status....

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
Thanks but I have one already I'm just trying to solve the problem for when I have the turbo system as well which uses a y pipe
I'm pretty sure the Turbo system will not pass, for this reason . . . that is why turbos generally are not CARB legal

·
Registered
107 Posts
didnt read every1s post but if im understanding what you are saying, you will not pass an emissions OR a visual inspection with either high flow cats or modified cats in a different position from the original angle they are placed at.

NJ is the worst state for passing with emissions/visual

·
Registered
103 Posts
Find someone who is "impressionable" when dead presidents are talking to him. We get SMOG'd every year in Vegas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts