Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 07 V6 is my new toy after 30 years without one (last one was 65 289 Hi Po coupe). As much as I hate the rice rocket looks of having gauges on the windshield post I have settled on the 2 gauge mount and an Oil pressure and Voltmeter set from Autometer. I intend to get an electronic Oil pressure gauge so as to only run wires for these additions. I am looking for people who have done this and can save me the learning curve such as where to run the wires, where to mount the oil pressure sending unit, etc. Sure wish someone made 52 mm dual read gauges so I could have Oil pressure, trans temp, amps and voltage in two holes but alas, seems that doesn't exist.

Any help appreciated,

Old guy! :shiny:

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you don't like the pillar mount, or loosing your vents, I have seem people mount one or two gauges (one over the other) in the big gap between the two center vents. Drill two nice clean holes and they look like stock.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Installing gauges

I have Autometer Cobalt digital gauges coming and I have researched pods and think the Speed O Sound is the best. There are many ways to hook up your gauges, but you cannot get rid of the factory sensore. The oil pressure will be the hardest because there is not enough room to T off from the factor unit. Water temp sensor will fit in the freeze plug on the drivers side. good luck

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
yea id also like to know how to run gauges, im doing the roush vent pods but i have no clue how to run the wires. going autometer cobalt boost/vac(mech) and fuel pressure gauge(electric).

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
I have Autometer Cobalt digital gauges coming and I have researched pods and think the Speed O Sound is the best. There are many ways to hook up your gauges, but you cannot get rid of the factory sensore. The oil pressure will be the hardest because there is not enough room to T off from the factor unit. Water temp sensor will fit in the freeze plug on the drivers side. good luck
tapping into a freeze plug does not sound like a good idea. arent all the factory gauges electronic? that would be the way to tap in, but i`m just guessing. surely someone has added some gauges to a v6 and can post up :scratchchin

·
Registered
786 Posts
why not do a dash gauge pod that sits in that area above the vents between the passenger and driver side of the dash.

there is a couple of them on this website Moss Mustang Store - Parts and Accessories for your Ford Mustang

I wish I could find a pic of the autometer installed but the other two look good. I think I'd do something like that before doing A-Pillar gauges.

One of the things I picked up from being around honda's for a few years is that A-pillar gauges are really easy to see from outside the car not only letting your opponents see how many gauges you have up there (possibly giving away how much you have done to the car). But it also makes it really obvious to thieves that you have a modified car, especially if the gauges light up or have any glowing parts and you are driving at night, it can make you a big target to get your car jacked.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't really like pillar gauges so I went with Autometer's triple dash pod that fits in that dip in the dash. On the plus side it looks pretty sweet at a glance but Autometer did a crummy job on design and quality control. You're pretty much guaranteed to find flaws in it. That and it flexes according to the temperature so sometimes there's an obvious crack between it and the dash. All things considered I still prefer it to a pillar pod but there are other similar options out there that might work better.

·
Registered
168 Posts
yea id also like to know how to run gauges, im doing the roush vent pods but i have no clue how to run the wires. going autometer cobalt boost/vac(mech) and fuel pressure gauge(electric).
if you still need help insalling a boost gauge with a roush vent pod let me know, I just installed a phantom vac/boost gauge there and I can do a write up.

I bought a triple dash pod but It caused too much obstruction of view for me and after I met someone with a P-51 roush I saw that it had a roush vent pod and it didn't look bad at all. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
883 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
just a heads up using a tension mount within the face of the vents makes for a perfect place to mount gauges with out any drilling necessary, it also keeps full function of the vents and you can just close them if you don't want to see the gauges or if the lights are distracting you at night and makes it very easy to run the wires. For a simple way to run oil gauges is through a sandwich adapter such as the one from Glowshift.

if you would like i can post up a picture of my gauge set up and the tension mounts and what not.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
thats what these forums are for. when ever you do a mod or anything, always take pics then add pics and post it cause people want to check it out, look for ideas ect. ive been waiting for someone with a V6 to do a good write up on installing common gauges. oil pres, oil temp, water temp, amp, volts, fuel pressure or any other good ones to have. i had gauges in my 67 but things have changed since the 70`s, its all new now :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK well, Ive circled through half a dozen gauges now and have myself set on a mix of form and function with volts and A/F. Both have been mounted using a tension style mount in the vents, while mounting in most vents causes the vents to loose function mounting them using a tension style mount you keep all function and even the ability to close the vents and hide the gauges. if people are interested ill post up how i mounted the gauges and ran the wires, as for a general write up for different gauges ill get on that as soon as i have the time to sit down. Below are a few pictures of how the gauges look mounted and such.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Installing gauges

Would be great to hear how you hooked up the sensors and the wiring route you chose, getting ready to do the same thing and looking to save a little time

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.