Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fixing to order the JBA shorty headers for my 05 V6 and i wandering how much yal would think it might cost to get them installed, I know they are a pain to install ive never had headers installed and just wanna know around the price range that most people have been charged thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Install price

It cost me $500 to install my JBA headers on my SC/GT. Im here in CAli and the prices were all over the place so I chose a mechanic that loves mustangs!

·
Registered
142 Posts
My shop charged me for 4 hours of labor... I think it was around $300 for the install.

Watch it when you first fire 'er up... the sound will surprise ya!

btw.... my installer commented on the fit and finish of the jba's... said they went on perfectly. Others have not been able to say the same about MAC headers.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
A. 4-5 hours of labour

B. If you're not 'afraid' to move (or remove) the cats, go Kooks. LT but not loooong...

·
Registered
208 Posts
For the money, shorty's aren't the way to go. Get the JBA long tubes and you will be happier with your investment. I will say make sure you have your clutch and tranny where you want them mod wise, cause once you go long tubes, you have to remove them every time you need to get into your clutch/tranny. It is a PAIN in the butt - but well worth the difference. better yet, wait about 4 weeks, and JBA will be launching their new 3" long tube set-up.

Remember too with headers and exhaust set-up (whatever you go with) you will have to remove your cats and downstream 02 sensors if you want to run 106 octane or higher. You will fry your 02's and put your car into failsafe if you try to run high octane with them. If you're going to start making serious power (over 400 rwhp) you need to run high octane in your race tune to help cushion the 2 weak areas these engines have (rods and pistons).

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Good points chevvykiller... but ...

"If you're going to start making serious power (over 400 rwhp) you need to run high octane in your race tune to help cushion the 2 weak areas these engines have (rods and pistons)."

Uhhh...??? :dunce: How does that (often higher RPM) cushon the rods? How will that strenghten/lenghten the short wall from the piston top to the top ring?

It will help against detonation but that any tuner can fix much cheaper and easier with a safe tune... and some $11 sparkplugs maybe...

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
chevykiller said:
For the money, shorty's aren't the way to go. Get the JBA long tubes and you will be happier with your investment. I will say make sure you have your clutch and tranny where you want them mod wise, cause once you go long tubes, you have to remove them every time you need to get into your clutch/tranny. It is a PAIN in the butt - but well worth the difference. better yet, wait about 4 weeks, and JBA will be launching their new 3" long tube set-up.
I agree with chevykiller. i just read a lengthy post about how close the JBA shorties are to the frame one side. on hard cornering, the engine tilts over and the exhaust rattles against that frame rail. not to mention the pain of installing them, as mentioned above. long tubes will give you better torque numbers anyway.
if you are planning on exhaust wraps, do it before you install the headers. I have heard the additional heat from the headers is fairly high.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts