Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey Folks!

Well I finally got the last part to my 50th Birthday present (almost a year late) but CJ's was out of stock on the aluminum rear window louvers
last April when I got my 2020 High Performance Eco.

I was curious if anyone's done this recently?
Most of the posts i'm reading I hadn't seen on any newer Mustangs but just wanted to ask how it went and if there were any tips/tricks?

The "stick on glass" kinda bugs me but i've read, to "clean the glass, once you think it's clean, clean it 3 more times" so it has no residue to interfere with the adhesive.

I'm actually going to try a fitment today, my buddy recommended we clean the car, possibly tape the window frames edge to avoid any strong cleaners on the paint.
He's had good luck with lacquer thinner as a degreaser and I don't want to get any of that on the paint or the ceramic coating, it could remove it.
We have some stuff called "eraser" which we used when doing the ceramic coat, prob try that too.

Id' read someone even stuck the mounts to the glass then siliconed around them to 'seal' the pads from rain.

Well, I'll try to report back what I find.

Stay tuned and Thanks for any info, I'll report back soon.

T

Well I may have found a good video, different year Mustang but same louvers I believe.
from American Muscle
They mention using silicone around the mounts for to keep out water from the adhesive pads
and recommend sitting for 24hrs.

Hey Folks,
This video was pretty much perfect on helping me do this install. I did need an assistant, it's a bit large to handle solo.
Best notes I can offer if you do this on your Mustang.

Cleaning the glass, (since we didn't have any alcohol handy)
I first used a product called "Carpro Eraser", this stuff is awesome for cleaning glass, well my buddy argued that we really should use lacquer thinner
so the 2nd cleaning that's what I used, it worked but it left a white/powder type residue. (didn't want that)
so for the 3rd cleaning I used the Eraser again.
Note: they recommend not using regular glass cleaner because it can leave a residue which can interfere with the tape to glass adhesion.
Well the Eraser stuff worked perfectly. We got good tape-to-glass adhesion and I love the smell of this stuff too!
The Carpro Eraser, you can find it on Amazon, we used it on a prior project as part of the paint prep for the ceramic coating job we did last September.
(it really makes nice interior glass cleaner, it removes the smoky residue that tends to get on glass)

Preparing the louver mount points/measurements/gap checks
Once we got the louver in the sweet spot on the rear window, we used painters tape in a few locations along the roof/window line, and the side window/body lines and I slit the tape with a razor. That way after we removed the louver to peel all the mount "little tape backings"...we could put it back in the same place easily.
(And that was the worst part of this job, peeling the "little red strips of plastic backing" for the louver to glass mounts, it was hard to get most of the edges of that tape to start to peel)

Anyways once that was done, those painter tape strips we used for louver to glass alignment worked perfectly!

Note, prior to "sticking it to the glass"
We tried to make some eyeball measurements from the driver side, passenger side, roof/3rd brake light area to the louver, and the bottom driver, passenger corners of the louver to the trunk decklid clearance, so and I can't make this any clearer,
I'd TAKE MY TIME HERE AND GET IT RIGHT, once this thing is stuck to the glass, it's not going to come off easily or re-stick after that correctly.
Don't forget the adhesive promoter!
Note: (about the promoter)
We used a bit more of the blue painters tape to ballpark the areas of where to actually put the adhesive promoter, I'd just do each of the areas where the mounts go because that's where you need it where the tape to glass will be.
Just wipe it on and I don't recommend going back over it after it's been on the glass and semi-set-up.
I did that and that stuff had kinda setup and was getting semi gooey, I don't think I caused any issues doing that on mine, but an Afterthought on that,
It wasn't necessary, once was fine, Just Get the areas wiped good and move on to the next spot, once done you're done with the adhesive promoter
you can chuck it.
(I did use a glove with that stuff.).

Mark your locations so when you remove the louver to "peel the tape backings" you should (with a helper) should be able to align it all correctly. Make sure
your "marked locations" are right and you can remove it and put it back as a "test run" before you peel all the backings.

Once the mounts are taped to the glass, I used some clear silicone and went around the glass mounts edges but was only easily able to get 3 sides.
Afterthought: If I used blue painters tape and masked around the glass mounts with a gap between the tape edge and the mount, I could have smeared on the silicone
then peeled the tape for a cleaner "silicone to glass to mount" result.
But you cant see it anyways, it was just a way to possibly do a neater job,
maybe even letting it cure and using a razor to cut the silicone to pull the tape clean (just an idea would have to try).
I was only able to get the mounts siliconed on the top, inner rear window edge, and bottom as the "Mount edge to the window frame/body" was too tight of a tolerance to smear silicone and not get it all over the painted surface of the car.

It got about 2 1/2 hrs of "dry time" before I had to get out of my buddy's garage and it started freaking raining! But the silicone had set up enough, I was able to drive the car home with the
louvers (in the trunk) and covered the car with plastic for 24hrs to try to keep some of the water out, I let it sit for a 2nd day to dry, then put the louvers on the window mounts.

Looks pretty good and seems to be rock solid.
Good luck with your project and hope the video and my notes help!
T

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Nice job. How does it affect your rear vision?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice job. How does it affect your rear vision?
Hey Huberroy123,
Thank you, I tried to do it right the first time!

So far I've not noticed any problems with rear vision, today's my 2nd day driving it and so far, straight back view's are fine and the "slices" on the edges so far I've been ok with that as well.
I actually got this to help with interior heat/fading as I'm not a fan of window tint, but it looks good from the outside too.

Here's a photo from the inside looking out the rear.
T

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
My wife suggested I do this too, but I’m somewhat hesitant. I’ve had these in the past, and I had a lot of vibration issue at high speed. How does yours behave at high speeds?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey Guys,
Thanks Blaque Diamond Wheels, it did kinda give it the 69'-70 look for the rear window, and don't call it old but but classic! ;) (but Thank you for the compliment!)

hey Crjackson, I've not had a chance to go much above 70-80 range lately but no vibrations noticed so far, even low speed bumpy back roads. These are the aluminum ones
and so far so good. But keep in touch on this page, give me some time and check back in with me i'll fill ya in on how they're doing no problem.

One thing I do like so far, the interior is staying more in the shade which should help to keep the rear window and seats from fading (I hope).

I washed it last night (as the pollen is starting to kick here) I figure I'll let the rear glass go a bit before I remove and clean the glass, so far though no issues.

Thanks guys!
T

Reactions: crjackson
85 Posts
hey Guys,
Thanks Blaque Diamond Wheels, it did kinda give it the 69'-70 look for the rear window, and don't call it old but but classic! ;) (but Thank you for the compliment!)

hey Crjackson, I've not had a chance to go much above 70-80 range lately but no vibrations noticed so far, even low speed bumpy back roads. These are the aluminum ones
and so far so good. But keep in touch on this page, give me some time and check back in with me i'll fill ya in on how they're doing no problem.

One thing I do like so far, the interior is staying more in the shade which should help to keep the rear window and seats from fading (I hope).

I washed it last night (as the pollen is starting to kick here) I figure I'll let the rear glass go a bit before I remove and clean the glass, so far though no issues.

Thanks guys!
T
Yeah classic is a much better word for it. '69 is one of the best years for the classic 'Stangs, only next to '65. That goes both for the Sportsroofs and the Coupes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts