Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I ordered a sequential taillight kit for my '08, I asked for advice on which brand was best (CDC or WebElectric or the Mustang Project LEDs). Just as I expected, everyone recommended whatever brand they had, but without really expressing why it was better than the others. And everyone said installation was fairly easy.

I was tempted by the LEDs because I expected them to light brighter. But I knew their odd-looking cards of LEDs (from a close-up picture on their website) would be visible through the red transparent lenses when not lit, and I preferred the look of the standard bulbs. I chose the WebElectric kit for their chrome plated sockets (over the CDCs). They do look better to me (through the lenses when not lit), but you have to look closely to see the difference.

I installed the driver's side with little difficulty. But even after unbolting and moving the Shaker 1000 subwoofer enclosure, the amplifier and mounting bracket were still in the way on the passenger side. I managed to install the passenger side harness without removing the amp, but it certainly took a lot longer and made the job a lot more difficult. (Just like replacing the heater core in my Fiero GT was more difficult because of the optional factory powered subwoofer that was in the way under the dash.) Am I the only one who has installed sequentials on an S197 Mustang with the optional Shaker 1000 stereo?

G

·
...Am I the only one who has installed sequentials on an S197 Mustang with the optional Shaker 1000 stereo?
Hey Gary,

No, you're not - I have the Shaker 1000 and ended up using a wrench to get in there and the smallest paws we were able to get in there, which I think were mine (I was at my brothers for his tools, brains and in case I messed up and also had my husband along for moral support:D)... It wasn't easy - but far from difficult. We left the shaker components in, as the research I did before we installed - people said it wasn't much easier with it removed... so I took their advice. Total install was about 40 minutes if I remember correctly...

Glad you got them in... hope you dig them as much as I love mine... :bigthumbsup:hihi:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Shaker 1000 and left the shaker components in. Total install was about 40 minutes. Hope you dig them as much as I love mine.
It took me longer because it took additional time to remove and later reinstall the subwoofer enclosure. You certainly would need really small hands to reach in there without removing it. And if you happen to drop one of those fasteners while reaching back in there you would never see it again. No room to use a normal ratchet, so it took about a thousand little turns with an open end wrench on the farthest one. But the sequentials operate fine and look great. It's always worth it after the job is finally finished.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I wonder if would have been easier to just remove the taillight on that side?

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
i never remember you mentioning you had a shakker 1,000 system :D otherwise i would have pointed that out to you, sorry.....

·
Registered
25,075 Posts
Bummer, Shaker 500 here too. It was rather easy, I suppose it would have been harder with the Shaker 1000.

·
Registered
91 Posts
this is good info i have a shaker 1000 and was thinking about this mod and had never heard about any of the difficulties..so thanks for posting it up!

·
Registered
381 Posts
So now you can appreciate the new turn signals in your garage :)
Exactly what I was thinking. I can understand appearance mods for the sake of looking nicer in your garage and performance mods so you can say its faster... but functional mods? :scratchchin

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
LOL...Joel had less aggravation with his headers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.