Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! just starting a small thread to hopefully give somebody an idea of how to install some white indiglo gauge face overlays (like the kind you can get on ebay)

the process is rather simple really

BEFORE STARTING, TURN YOUR HEADLIGHTS ON! THEN DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! THIS WILL ALLOW YOU TO CHECK TO SEE IF THE GAUGES ARE WORKING WITHOUT ENTIRELY REASSEMBLING! i wish i would have done this.....

1) remove lower steering column cover
2) remove the rest of the column cover
3) remove lower dash / knee pad
4) remove the instrument panel bezel. a little trick i found is to disconnect only the wiring harnesses to the switches on the LEFT. then just hang the bezel by the ones on the right. those damn harnesses are hard to get back in and out...
5)remove the actual instrument cluster, and take it to a nice clean safe area to work.
6)Disassemble the instrument cluster, removing the clear plastic, then the black plastic, and the small interior bezel. also remove the screws holding the side gauges (volts, temp, oil, and fuel) in place.
7)Slide your new gauge faces right over the needles and the old gauges, no need to remove the needles! just shimmy them on there, trust me. i spent an hour trying to figure out how to get those ******* off, and realized they dont need to come off.
8)Reassemble the instrument cluster with your new gauges! SWEET! dont forget that little plastic bezel that goes inside! also, make sure you put the screws back in the side gauges! and now is a GREAT time to replace burnt out bulbs! (or put that pesky check engine light bulb back in)
9)Stick that sucker back in the car!! oh, and dont forget about wiring in some power to those indiglo faces....
10) WIRING.
wire the red power wire from your gauge face control box (should be a small black cube) into the power wire for your dimmer switch/rotary knob thing...
the wire i used on my 88 LX Hatchback was the farthest to the right on the dimmer wiring harness. you should have to remove the dimmer switch to do this. the wire on my stang was blue with a red stripe. to ground the gauges, i drilled a hold right in a metal bracket on the steering column behind the gauges, stuck a wire loop on the end of the ground wire, and self-tapped that ***** down. worked GREAT. the loose wires will all fit behind the instrument cluster, but the control cube should fit right behind the dimmer switch. its a little tricky, but just stuff that sucker in there. if your gauges have an on off switch, just run it down behind the the dimmer switch to the underside of the dash. my switch was ugly, so i kept it hidden.

reassemble the dash and your done! if all goes well, they should look and work great. i know most of this is basic, but i felt that there were a few little tricks someone could use.

only took one try, and about 4 hours which includes screwing around, answering my phone, and drinkin whiskey. should take 3 hours max

good luck if anyone attempts!

G

·
Thanks for posting a great "how to" on installing the guage face overlays! Good help for anyone else attempting to do the install.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually there is an easier way to power these gauges. Where one of the lightbulbs screw in behind your gauges all you need to do is pinch one wire on each side of one of the lights. It'll get power from the light socket. You'll understand when you have the dash apart.
BTW Great 30 bucks spent!!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow yea i see waht your seeing about the light bulb socket.
just pinch a wire inbetween a bulb and the board. good idea.

i also noticed that my pesky check engine was already gone :O

who needs o2 sensors anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
White guages

I am picking up my 2001 mineral gray GT convertible this weekend & would love to try this mod. I have noticed a couple of different brands/styles available? Is 1 better than the other? I have not seen any up close. Can anyone post a pic of theirs? Thanx in advance! Here is a link of a couple that I saw.. -Norm

http://www.mustangtuning.com/v8gauges.html

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, this guide was done on an 87-93 model, so im not sure if this will be the step by step you need, but should probably be similar. igot my overlays off of ebay, i just picked the ones that i thought looked best. its really about looks, i dont think any overlay is going to function better than the others. all it is is an idiglo panel. pick the one you think looks coolest, and check ebay!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I installed a set of MAC whiteface gauges in my 89 and I wasn't very happy with the outcome. My fuel gauge stopped working and my speedometer was off by a great deal. You really have to be careful when you mark the needles, but the removal of the needles is the most important part. They also lit up poorly. I would recommend using a heat gun to get the glue off. DO NOT USE A RAZOR.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well see that was a gauge face problem, i didnt have to take my needles off, the holes were big enough in the overlay to shimmy them over the needles. also, mine lined up great, they actually had the holes for the prongs on the cluster like stock faces

·
Registered
602 Posts
Most overlays require you to remove the needles. I can't recall seeing any that didn't. I'm glad yours worked out good though. Mine looked good in the day but lit up terribly.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea i got mine off of ebay, they dont adhere on or anything, just held in place by pressure from the clear plastic instrument bubble being screwed down on top of them. im not sure if mine were SUPPOSED to go on without taking the needles off, but i managed to do it. also, if you can get it over the needle, but not over the black BASE of the needle, you can pop the black base off, instead of the whole needle. then just glue that sucker back on. it makes the base of the needle a LITTLE BIT smaller.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.