Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo, My perfectly functional mustang was parked in the back for about two months,, just to ease up the driving on it. I disconnected the battery, and there she slept.. until i reconnected the battery and cranked it up.. All worked as it should except my Fuel meter doesnt work.. all other meter work as they should,, but not the fuel... I need to fix this, but dont know where to start. somebody please throw me a bone

·
Registered
883 Posts
Stepper motor in the inst cluster, bad fuel sender. There are test procedures in the workshop manual.
(The workshop manual can be found online)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
GrayPony’s pretty much hit it on the head, either the fuel sending unit became contaminated or the stepper motor in the cluster failed. When the steppers fail you usually get goofy readings, it typically won’t just sit at empty. As for the sender, try some Techron (available at parts stores) in the gas tank and drive it for a while to see if that clears any deposits that may’ve formed on the sender (modern senders are pretty fragile/junky).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Almost forgt to mention,, its throwing codes,,, P0463 and P2068

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Yeah those codes make it likely to be the fuel level sensor. Sometimes chemicals in the fuel can react with the metal contacts on the sensor forming a layer of non-conducting material, especially if the car isn’t driven regularly for the wiping action of the moving contact to help rub things clean. Techron supposedly is good at cleaning that stuff off. Seems worth a try, as replacing the sending unit will be much more expensive and a headache to do. If the Techron doesn't do it you could try some Sea Foam too (just not at the same time).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i tried the techron,, in fact, i used two bottles, drove around for a bit, but no joy.. so i guess my next step is the fuel sender... so,, how do i go about it?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It could take a week or two of driving for the Techron to work.

If you do need to replace the sending unit/fuel pump assembly access is gained underneath the rear seat. Here’s a link to an online Ford service manual page. Don’t think it’s as hard as it looks in the document.

Ford Service Manuals - REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

Here's a link to the wiring diagram, should you want to inspect the wire harness for a fault before actually laying down some cash (fuel senders are towards the bottom of the diagram).

Ford Service Manuals - Wiring Diagrams

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i replaced the sender in the drivers side tank.. still not working

1 - 8 of 8 Posts