Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where could I find a carb and intake combo that will give me signifigent more HP???
I have a 1973 mustang 302....
And if so how mutch HP do you think I will gain?:headscratch:

·
Registered
517 Posts
The more modified your engine is already the more the intake and carb will add and it depends on what you have now. Assumeing you have a stock intake and 4 barrel an Edelbrock RPM with Holley 600 vacuum secondary will probably add a good 20 horsepower.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I'd like to recommend the Weiand Stealth. It delivers at a broad RPM range and is a high rise dual plane design that acts like a single plane at high RPMs. It is made by a division of Holley. For a carb I like the Holley 600 CFM vacuum secondary. An alternative carb, if Holleys intimidate you, is the Edelbrock AVS which uses air velocity to activate the secondaries, instead of vacuum as the Holley does.

I advise staying away from a mechanical secondary carb for a street car. Your drivability and fuel economy won't be as good.

As for HP gain, 20 sounds about right with a good exhaust sys., of course this is a guesstimate. I don't know what your plans are for exhaust, but you are going to have to upgrade it to go along with the increase in intake flow. Easier in and easier out. It's all about getting a package that works with one another. Remember 302 cu. in. is a small engine. Don't fall for the big is good, so bigger must be better deal. Go too big and you'll loose all of your bottom end "Grunt"

As for where to get these parts, Summit, which is in ,Akron, and Jeg's in, Delaware,Ohio, are good places. They have showrooms as well as shipping depts. I noticed that you're in, Lorain, you may want to check them out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.