Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing a clutch for the first time this weekend & just wondering if theres any pointers to make my life easyer?

·
Registered
304 Posts
keep all the parts and hardware you remove IN ORDER!

get an accurate torque wrench for the pressure plate and bellhousing bolts

remove the transmission from the bellhousing instead of all as one unit. makes life alot easier lining everything up.

make sure you have the clutch aligning tool. most kits come with one but if not you can rent one from autozone or buy from cheap from summit

look out for the side of the clutch disc that reads "flywheel side" and make sure it faces the flywheel.

if there is traces of oil on the back of your clutch disc i would check the rear main seal (prone to leakage) and change it before you install the clutch to prevent contamination of the new clutch.

replace the pilot and throwout bearings while you're at it so you dont need to tear it all apart again when one goes bad.

MAKE SURE the 3 dowels on the flywheel are aligned into the small holes on the pressure plate.

all in all its not that bad of a job (especially using a lift) the trans unbolts from the bellhousing with 4 bolts (and a couple wiring connecters) the cable comes right out of the fork with one c clip and there are 6 bellhousing bolts, and i believe its 6 pressure plate bolts.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Make sure to resurface the flywheel.
You will have to move the exhaust pipes out of the way too.
If you a doing it on your back on your garage floor, plan on it taking 2 hours more than you thought it would.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Make sure you have a flywheel wrench, it makes life alot nicer when removing the flywheel bolts and installing them unless you have air tools.

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
i did mine on a 05 4.0.... dunno bout yours but a 2 foot extention was sure nice. a breaker bar, BLUE loctite, and a helper!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Don't try to resurface the flywheel yourself with some sandpaper like i did once upon a time. just take it to the machine shop and pay them to do it, you'll be glad you did.

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
most napas will resurface them.

make sure they use a blancher.

yor flywheel should have super duper fine swirls in it

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"not a bad job" well if your doing it in the floor it is sure not fun. Dont know if I did something wrong but to drop the tranny I had to remove crossmember & had to lower exhaust to remove the cross member, plus alot of the bolts where hard to get to. So far I have the tranny on the floor now have to remove the clucth & rear seal then reninstall everything. But i'm probbley up to 5-6 hours. This job takes a lot of time & is not the funnest thing to do.(exspesialy on a floor). I would say if taking on this job allow for 10-12 hours.

remove the transmission from the bellhousing instead of all as one unit. makes life alot easier lining everything up.

make sure you have the clutch aligning tool. most kits come with one but if not you can rent one from autozone or buy from cheap from summit

look out for the side of the clutch disc that reads "flywheel side" and make sure it faces the flywheel.

if there is traces of oil on the back of your clutch disc i would check the rear main seal (prone to leakage) and change it before you install the clutch to prevent contamination of the new clutch.

replace the pilot and throwout bearings while you're at it so you dont need to tear it all apart again when one goes bad.

MAKE SURE the 3 dowels on the flywheel are aligned into the small holes on the pressure plate.

all in all its not that bad of a job (especially using a lift) the trans unbolts from the bellhousing with 4 bolts (and a couple wiring connecters) the cable comes right out of the fork with one c clip and there are 6 bellhousing bolts, and i believe its 6 pressure plate bolts.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If u remove the tranny from the bell housing how do u install (remove)the upper bolts. I couldn't get a socket on it to take it off because of the casting on the tranny nothing would fit to remove those upper bolts?

·
Registered
304 Posts
you let the tranny hang down so the top bolts are angled down. and remove them then jack the end of the trans back up

·
Registered
119 Posts
Make sure to use silicone and/or loctite on the flywheel to crank bolts as they do go through into the crank case. If you don't seal them, they can leak out onto the clutch side and burn up/ruin the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. Ask me how I know. :D:happyhapp

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.