1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Interesting article!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have seen this post a few times on here. It's legit I believe its linked in Reggies post about actual horsepower gains for popular mods.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I think this pretty much confirms what gets repeated over and over. The advertised gains are way over stated by manufacturers. That is an old post and article and the equipment in that test hasn't changed much.

The one thing I would like to have seen is what happens when people use and oversized throttle body, and what happens when using oversized injectors.

The suprise is the loss of power when adding larger shorty headers to the stock heads. You expect at least some gain even if small. For the small gain by using off-road pipes I don't know why people would bother.

Does anyone have any info on that Steeda Module? Price, who carries, model number, how easy/hard to use, etc?

·
Registered
6,461 Posts

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Evreytihng in there was Steeda. you believe the hp gain on the chip LOL. And using oversized injectors does nothing unless they are too big for the calibration to work and then you lose performance. The other numbers seem to be quite accurate except the underdrives. No way will you gain 10 hp form those.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well as you can see there were adverse affects with the pullies even on the dyno but they do give hp.

One thing they didn't do was bump the timing which is a proven hp gainer which is what the chip probably did.

Also the shorty headers + off road h pipe would give the gains seen in other builds. A full exhaust system usually only give about 10 to 12 rwhp but with a better flowing motor it is totally needed. Also on a dyno you are really just seeing numbers in which it is hard to tell if somethings are really making you faster.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
spdjnky, come on man give me more credit than that. I'm not one to guzzle the kool-aid. I had never heard of that module and wanted to get more details on it, that's all.

The fact that it's no longer offered may give a clue as to how "good" it worked.

As far as the over-sized injectors, I have a hunch that going too big may actually cause Hp to be lowered. There is a time lag for the injectors to fully turn on and off so being too big may be detrimental. I have never seen a comparison of what happens when you put say 36 or 42 pounders on a car that only needs 19 or 24 pounders.

Of course people can play with timing and the injectors as well but it would be an interesting study.

There are a lot of guys out there with big fat MAFs, TBs, and large injectors with mild intakes and stock heads thinking they are putting out bigger Hp. You already know this. Having numbers to show the results of doing it would be nice.

Even with Steeda putting up the parts and technicians I think this was a mostly 'fair' study.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts