Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my engine temperature was a little higher than normal when I was cruisin' around but didn't think too much of it- it was a warm day.

After doing a little shopping I tried to start the car and it wouldn't start. Sounded like it was missing on the timing lke the chain had jumped. Popped the hood and everything seemed normal except for a small pool of fluid on top of the throttle housing by the water pump.

After about an hour the car did start up. It was running normal until about a half hour later then it started missing again.

I found that there was a tiny coolant leak at the top hose clamp hitting the Ignition Module directly causing it too malfunction and the engine to misfire and finally die. I had to wait another 45 minutes before it would start.

My question is:

Is it the actually heat causing the IG. Mod. too malfuntion or is it water shorting something?

If it is heat then maybe my Module isnt dumping heat very well...
and maybe I need to reseat it with heat transfer grease.

Thanks and I am interested to know if this ever happened to another Mustang owner.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Ford Ignition Module's are notorious for breaking down under high temps. One of the old tell-tale signs was the car would die once it warmed up, and then run fine again after it cooled off..... until it warmed up again.

Chances are it was the heat causing the issue, but it's hard to say when water is involved. It could have been either one or a combination of both.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I remember there beig some sort of recall involving the ignition..I know my car is involved with the recall..look under technical service bulletins...just a thought.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And if it is the heat causing the problem we're only talking about what 212 degrees Fahrenheit when that hot water is released into the atmosphere.

Are those Ignition Modules only rated to handle temperatures barely above normal engine tempertures? I guess that's why they fail.

Any good after market ones that can take the heat?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
not sure about a good module..do a search on it at the top of the page and take a look at other threads regarding it...youll get lots of good info.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
it's been stressed, I'd buy a spare with an install tool and keep them in the trunk.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree with tmoss.
If its warm where you are take your hood insulator out. I did that and it helped my engine temp a little.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Also make sure you have something to mark the dist so your time stays correct and the right size wrench to loosen the dist hold down nut so you can move the dist for enough clearance to take the module off. When I did mine I had to move the dist to access both screws.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ig. module pricing

The dealer wants $160+ for a motorcraft IG. Mod..
There's an Echlin for $108...

Is it better to go stock? Does it matter?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I bought a Wells unit from O'Reilly's about two years ago for half that and it's fine so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.