Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I picked up a 2011 GT Premium with Saddle interior about two weeks age, and had some questions regarding the maintenance of the interior, as well as the outside of the car. This is the first car I've owned with leather seats, and as such I have practically no knowledge or experience with regards to the care of such upholstery.(however I do have considerable knowledge/experience at seeing horribly neglected/cracked/abused/mangled/etc. leather seats and am rather desperate to avoid that fate regarding mine :afraid) I'm curious as to what products/methods other owners here use to clean and protect their leather upholstery.

I'm also curious as to what products I could use on the soft-touch plastic of the dashboard to keep it clean and protected from the elements, as well as the aluminum trim of the dashboard itself.

Finally, with regards to the exterior of the car, what products would be recommended to clean/maintain/protect the dark textured plastic on the lower half of the 2010/2011 cars? I've heard Black WOW is excellent for such trim, but I was wondering if there were other products out there that work well on this type of trim. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,823 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have an 11 GT with the saddle leather and just finished washing my new baby for the first time (only had it 5 days but it rained). I used Meguiars quick interior wipes for the dash and aluminum and Meguiars leather cleaner/conditioner wipes for the seats. They both work great, but I did use a microfiber cloth over top the seats after I used the wipes to take off some of the shine.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Leatherique products are about the best I have used so far. I used to use Lexol on my cars but switched to Leatherique a few months ago and love the results. I fee they are far superior to others.

http://http://www.properautocare.com/lelecaki.html

I am assuming that the newer Mustangs are the same with only the inserts actually being real leather?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have to examine mine more closely but the entire seat cover seems to be high grade leather on the new 'Stang. I'm going to be doing my first leather treatment this weekend so I'll get down on eyeball level with the seats to make sure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use Meguiar's Supreme Shine Protectant. It's good for for Rubber, plastic and tires.

I spray this stuff on a wax applicator pad away from everything and wipe evenly where i need to. I then wipe the excess off with a microfiber cloth. Doing this will avoid spraying your windows, radio face and instrument cluster.

You can use the same method for your seats.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use Mequiar's interior detailer wipes on most dash surfaces. I use Armour All leather wipes on my seats. Every so often I will use regular Armour All on the top of the dash and doors and other interior plastic surfaces, heck even the tires.

I hope the quality of the seat leather on the 2010-11 is improved over the 05-09. On my 08 the sides of the seat cushions started showing creases within about a month after I bought it.

On the outside I use Mequiars Gold Class Car wash and all wheel cleaner. I don't clay bar (except in spots where I have to remove stuff that the wash wouldn't take off) but after I clean I polish with Turtle Wax Ice Polish. It doesn't last as long as real wax but it is very easy to apply and you can use it on plastic surfaces.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I hope the quality of the seat leather on the 2010-11 is improved over the 05-09. On my 08 the sides of the seat cushions started showing creases within about a month after I bought it.
Same here. I do know that tat least the first few years only the "padded" inserts in the front and rear seats were actually leather. The sides are vinyl.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Same here. I do know that tat least the first few years only the "padded" inserts in the front and rear seats were actually leather. The sides are vinyl.
I'm pretty sure the sides are vinyl on the '08s as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.