Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found where the water is coming into my 05 and making the floor all wet on thefront right side. The weather strip trim above the doors (both sides) gaskets are bad. Does anyone know how to remove these trim pieces without breaking them?

·
Registered
143 Posts
You might want to have them check around the cabin air filter. When I bought my 2008 I had a leak in the passenger side floor board and the water was coming in around the filter housing. This is evidently and ongoing problem in 2005-2009 cars.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I was gonna say the same thing. My water leak ORDEAL started with me thinking it was the door trim. It wasnt.
The following is from another post I made on the water leak.

Check under the hood along the fire wall. You will see two black rubber drains spaced a couple feet apart. Put your finger in them to see if they are clogged. If they are clogged unclog them.
If that is not it next check the grommets on the passenger and driver side. They lead into the fenderwell that would be ahead of and above where you feet go. The others are where the wires enter the car in the door jamb area. Make sure both grommets are in place.

If these do not fix your problem continue.

If you take off your cowls you will see 10 grommets/mounts. You can either buy the new updated ones that need a heat gun to install or you can buy T2 Ford sealant and seal over them. Also you will see a pinch weld running the length of the cowl area. You can fill in the pinch weld with the sealer.

Last but not least is what was wrong with my car. Under the fenders near where the door, cowl and a pillar meet there is a seam that runs from the apillar to the bottom of the car. If you pull off the drip rails you can see it. Mine was falling apart and was letting water into the car. It is a very time consuming fix as the fenders must come off. But I had this fixed and so far my car has not leaked since.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...sb-list-5.html
The above post is the TSB for water leaks.
I hope just your drains are clogged as that is a real easy fix. If your drains are fixed you can cut off about an inch of them which will make it easier fro large debris to flow through and not get stuck. If you pull off your cowls it would be a good time to change your cabin air filter.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I preformed the procedure for locating the leak according to the TSB and the only place there were any bubbles was around the weather strip trim pieces above both doors. I need to know how to remove the trim pieces without breaking them, so I can replace the gasket.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Checked my '06 last Friday after a torrential downpour. I saw a couple of drops on the passenger kick panel. When I removed the kick panel cover I could see just a little bit of water was sitting on top of the switch box juction and the carpet underneath was slightly damp. It was so little that at first I decided to wait and see if it would do it again. Anyway, I decided to bring her in yesterday to my local dealership (Beach Ford) and they did a pressure test and sure enough the water was leaking through one or more of the cowl grommets. They said they replaced all 10 cowl grommets (for the driver and passenger side cowl areas) in accordance with TSB 08-26-7. I asked them to also look at the grommet above on the fender wall side (above the switch box)...it appeared that the rubber grommet for the electrical harness (antenna,etc.) was not seated properly. I thought that maybe some of the moisture came through there (though I didn't see any evidence of it). The tech claims that that grommet is normal (which I still don't think it is) and wasn't the source of my problems.
Okay, only time will tell and I'll be sure to check it again after the next serious rainfall.
They kept the car for almost two days. I did get it back with a very small chip in the hood near the hood hinge (I used a little bit of touch up paint to fix it)...that always pisses me off and that's why I do my own oil changes,etc., ...I just hate bringing the car into the dealership.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.