Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having a problem with my 1994 5.0 mustang. It has an intermittent idle problem. when I start it in the morning it runs fine until it warms up and the idle drops down to normal. once the idle comes down it surges real bad and stalls unless I keep the rpm's above 1000 rpm. I changed the plugs, wires,cap and rotor, fuel filter, coil, and oxygen sensors but the problem persists. any suggestions or advice would be a great help.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to AFM! A lot of times this can be a vacuum issue. Have you double and triple checked all the hoses? I'll move this to the 5.0 section for you and see if we can get you figured out.
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have a similar problem that I plan to diagnose this weekend. If I have time. :)

I'd pull codes first. If you Google something like "check codes EEC-IV" you'll find the method. Or you could search this forum.

Often, the problem is the Idle Air Controller. You'll know more once you find out what the computer is saying is the problem.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Take the iac motor off and spray it pretty good with carb cleaner. They tend to carbon up really easy and while the engine is cold its dumping more fuel, and is usually at a higher idle speed, then when your up to temp, idle comes back down and then you have problems.

Also very lightly take the maf off and spray it off as well. Take a q-tip and LIGHTY clean the heated element off.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I pulled mine off, cleaned it and reinstalled. No change in behavior. I gave the throttle stop screw a couple turns and now the idle is smooth at 800. I've got a friend with a SnapOn Brick so I'll get codes sometime this week.

·
Registered
640 Posts
i think the only other thing he needs to try is cleaning the MAF sensor. you should be able to find the cleaner at autozone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts