Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm driving a 5 speed v6 Mustang. Twice in the last week the car has got into this state where the RMPs become very sporadic (so the car is randomly pulling and then slowing several times a second). At one point I was at the light idling and suddenly the RPMs wanted to rev up to 3 or 4 thousand RPMs, followed by wanting to stall. This lasts for anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds and does it a few times before returning to regularity again. While it is in this state, the check engine light starts flickering rapidly. Once the car settles down the check engine light is off again. I've replaced my spark plug wires and spark plugs relatively recently. Most of the time the car is fine - this problem is intermittent. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
remove the IAC and clean it, clean the MAF sensor with electronic parts cleaner.. i lean towards IAC problems though

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
remove the IAC and clean it, clean the MAF sensor with electronic parts cleaner.. i lean towards IAC problems though
I read that IAC only effects idle. Although it did happen at idle once it was probably coincidence. Today it happened in 3rd gear cruising along at 50. Does IAC only have an effect when idling?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably throttle position switch located on top of the throttle body or idle control valve. I've had both cause it.
Is the throttle position switch the kind of component that slowly starts to fail, therefore would start off as a rare intermittent thing and gradually get worse as the component fails?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Throttle position sensor then. And yes clean the maf just in case. But when my car did the exact same thing it was throttle pos seriously. Buy one and try it. If it doesn't change then return it

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
clean the IAC anyway

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem solved. The issue was that the Tuning chip (little flash rom device plugged into the ECU) had a bad connection to the ECU. Each time it would re-establish connection it would reset the ECU which would cut the fuel pump for a second. Once the ECU finished resetting it would dump fuel in to bring the RMPs back up. My ECU connection was failing like every few seconds sometimes causing my car to buck violently as the fuel is dumped in, then cut, then dumped in again, etc. The solution was to just remove the Tuning chip. My car runs perfectly well without it - I'm assuming using default ECU timings/settings instead of the ones on the Tuning chip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts