Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Mustang v6 a couple months ago it started smoking on start up (only on start up!). It does eat oil pretty bad, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the head gasket and its just the valve guides and seals. So i've been driving around for a couple months with leaky seals and decided that its time to fix this problem! After coming to this decision it made me think of all the carbon and gunk that has built up on the exhaust valves over the past couple months and I started researching ways to clean valves without removing the heads and found 2 promising methods: Internal steam cleaning (which involves itroducing water into the combustion chamber via a vaccum line and steaming away to carbon build up), the other method was to use seafoam (an additive that can be put in the gas tank or through a vaccum line) many people praise and scorn both methods so i'm torn between the 2. A lot of people say that seafoam cleans well, sometimes too well, and may reveal underlying problems that weren't problems in the past (ie revealing leaks that were previously sealed up by the carbon deposits). Others said that steam cleaning works but when the carbon deposits are broken up they scrape up the interior of your engine and cut your engine life and can clog up your catalytic converters. I guess my main question is if i'm gunna replace the valve guides and seals anyway does it really matter which method i use to clean out the carbon deposits? (and your opinions plz!)

·
Registered
682 Posts
seafoam waters never a good option :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.