Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if it was possible to hook up an internally regulated alternator up on a car w/ a voltage regulator. could anyone provide me with a wiring schematic? i have a vague idea of i might be able to make it work, but im not exactly sure. reason for doing so is becaue i put a 351c in and alt off 302 was bad.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes it is totally possible fortunatly not with a ford alternator...(that i know of) the alternator that you need to get is a A gm 10SI or 12SI series alternator. You may need to make your own spacer and you will have to drill the hole a little bigger so that your bolt will fit on it. Now on this alternator all you need is a 10 or 8 guage wire and a 16 guage wire. the wiring diagram attatched will tell you where the wires go. after doing this you can pitch your regulator in the trash and enjoy a internally regulated alternator. This alternator does not require a jumper and you can put the wire from post marked 2 straight on the batt on the alternator. the first post marked 1 you can leave alone unless you'd like to add warning lights to the inside of ur mustang. then just attatch a wire from the batt to the hot side of the starter solenoid. they don't make internally regulated alternators for these old mustangs and if they do i am yet to find it.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Why not go to a one wire alternator?? I haven't done it, but need to, I just went thru hell with somebodies wiring mods, after seeing whats involed in a one wire alternator I'd do it in a heart beat. One wire alternator, one wire from the alternator to the positive side if the the starer soleniod. You don't have to cut your wire harness & you don't have to remove the voltage regulator. Go to MustangMonthly.com and check out the "HOW TO" section, punch in "HOW TO INSTALL A SINGLE WIRE ALTERNATOR". They show illustrations, give directions on how to accomplish the job & P/N for a kit.
Good Luck

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the suggestions, i will definately look into them a little further.

·
Registered
494 Posts
1 wire alternator

If you look in Mustangs Plus or Jegs, you will see they offer a one wire Alternator. I have one on my 66 Mustang and it was easy to wire. I eliminated the regulator and all wiring for it. Now I have just the one wire and it really cleaned up my engine bay. If your more into the classic look, you can just disconnect the external regulator and tape up the wires. I'm guessing your not since your inquiring about the 1 wire approach.

·
Registered
394 Posts
well i don't know about the other alternators suggested but the one i listed was technically 2 wires but only one left the alternator going staight to the batt. some only one wire alternators (like bubba and bob have suggested) have been said to get a dim headlight and other problems. plus i don't think you can get the alternators they suggested at autozone. course the one i mentioned will take a bit of modifying but whatever seems best for your mustang. also for a small pipe to make a spacer and the alternator it would probobly be 60 dollars 40 for the alternator from autozone and u can get 20 dollars back from turning in your old ford alternator. and 20 for the pipe...(i don't know if thats right bc i just found some old parts from my garage and used them)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive been thinking about it, and i think if i use an internally regulated ford alternator and just modify the loom in the external regulator it will work. i already have a ford alt. and wanted to use it. I was thinking if i put jumpers between the outside posts, and the inside posts in the voltage regulator, then i can use it. any suggestions?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.