1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I have? What do I need?

:im confused:
:newhere:

Hello, I'm a complete newbie to this site and want to learn as much as I can from the knowledgeable mustang mentors on this site. I've been lurking the forums and have finally decided to post.
My name is Amy.:wavey

I own a 1965 Mustang Fastback... my dad got this beautiful car for me when I graduated high school. I drove it all through college and have stored it in my parents garage for the past several years only taking it out once in a while.

Having lost my beloved father a few years back, I feel like I need to learn more about my ride and what direction to take with it... Basically, I've decided to give this car the attention it deserves. And without my dad's guidance, I'm reaching out to see who can help me out along the way. I miss him and his wisdom wholeheartedly, he was a hard working, mustang man through and through.

So, about my car. I thought I had a GT mustang, but after looking up the data plate code online, looks like it may not be one after all. Would my car be considered a GT clone? It has the inset fog lights, the trumpet style exhaust, pony interior, A/C, GT emblems, strips, etc. Please bare in mind that I'm not very technically-mustang savvy. I love my car, I just don't know enough about it.

I know it'll eventually need a new muffler and I would like to eventually get it painted and new wheels too. I'm not sure what direction to take with it - Should I keep the GT look going or get it back to a regular fastback. I'm not interested in major mods.... Just looking for thoughts/suggestions/input.

If you've made it this far - Thank You for reading my long post.

Amy Maria:cheerleader:

:im confused::newhere:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Does it have the 5 round guages instrument cluster ? Does it have disc brakes ? What does the data plate say as far as build date ? If it is prior to Feb 65, it is probably not a true GT. There are other clues to but these are the most obvious. If you like the GT look then and determine it is not a true gt, go ahead and refresh it up the same way or any way you want. Enjoy it !

·
Registered
378 Posts
Welcome to the forum Amy, :smilie I would say your mustang is very nice looking just the way it is clone or not. Unless your going to sell it? It doesn't really matter if it is or is not a GT clone. Sounds like you have many great memory of both your father and your car. If your keeping it and it sounds like you are, I'd keep it just the way it is for that reason. Enjoying your car would be a great legacy for your father.

I built my car kind of as a tribute to my father he taught me so many skills. I wanted to show him the skills he taught me. But I wasn't able to finish it before he passed on. But each time I look or drive my Mustang I think of my Dad. And I know he would be so proud he loved cars but his favorite was the Mustang.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
First off, find out exactly what you have. You don't want to change a car that has extreme value for the sake of doing it the way you want. (actually - you should do whatever you want, but I would kick myself if I ruined a rare model and caused it's value to sink.)

Get all the numbers from it that you can. Start with the door tag, and vin from the fender aprons. Post them here. Pay close attention to Veronica's replies. (she seems to have her act together). Then get the engine casting #s.

Take it from there. If you end up witha plain jane like I did - you can't hurt the value, but if it's a rare model, you need to know upfront. If you think you might change it's appearance some or alot. Take a look at the photo galleries here for ideas. It is separted by year so it's easy to just look at the year of your car.

And Welcome to the forum & let's see some pics!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Amy, welcome to the site!!! To live in the "Valley" and own a fastback....what does it feel like to lead a perfect life????:worship:worship:bounce2:

Now let's see do you need a husband and extra wife??? Now wait ....along with the extra wife you get a 67 convertible and 71 Mach I and oh ....the..... extra wife is a hellva cook......:grinroll:

your car is very nice and since you've owned it long term the build sheets (documents that describe the entire car) may be under the dash or under the rear seat. If they are there, will save a ton of time and effort, and give every detail.

I would suggest if she's not rare and if I read your post correctly .... those may be items dad add on for "his" preferences. If so I'd keep them.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Welcome and it IS nice. :bigthumbsupSeems to have all the GT stuff. It should also have a 4bbl carb. I got to get mine done.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) :welcome

That looks like a fun car to have. :) If the fifth digit of the vin is 'A' or 'K' then, it could be a factory GT. With that being a 65, you can pull the instrument cluster out enough to see the back of the ammeter gauge, and that will tell you if the car came with the GT package or the pony interior. Not which, though, because both came with the 5-dial cluster. If there are two wires plugged into the back of the ammeter gauge, that's a 66 instrument cluster. The 65 5-dial clusters will have one big black wire with a yellow stripe passing through a loop on the back of the ammeter gauge. This cluster is fairly rare, so it's unlikely that someone went through the trouble and expense of finding one, when the 66 clusters are a dime a dozen. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for the great responses. I can't wait to go back home and take a closer look at your suggestions and I think I have a better idea what to look for.

Veronica - I check the VIN and the fifth digit is a C
Also, the I believe the info from the data plate points to it being a non-GT....

We've owned the car since about 1994 and my dad never changed anything major on the car, we bought it as is... So, I guess the previous owners must have added these components and possibly changed the interior from standard to Pony? changed the instrument panel, foglights, etc... I may be able to contact the previous owner and see if he can provide some insight as well.

Btw, Here's some info I gathered from the dataplate

Body: 63A 2+2 Fastback
Color: 7 Phoenician Yellow
Trim: 26 Black Crinkle Vinyl, Standard Interior
Date: 21M December 21, 1964
D.S.O: 65 Oaklahoma City
Axle: 6 2.80:1, Conventional
Trans: 6 C4 Automatic

I'm not certain yet what type of wheels to get or what color to have the car painted.

But I am fascinated with the history behind this car and thanks again for all the information! I open to all suggestions too.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) With the fifth digit being a C, your car came from the factory with a 289 2bbl, and is definitely not a factory GT. They only put the GT package on cars that came with some kind of 289 with a 4bbl carb. They also didn't start selling cars with the GT package until mid april of 65, so anything with a scheduled production date earlier than february of 65 also definitely did not come with the GT package.

As far as what color to paint it goes, that is a very personal choice, since you are the one that will be driving the car. My car came from the factory in Skylight Blue, and I really like that color on convertibles, which my car is. It doesn't look so great on a fastback, though, in my opinion. There are lots of really nice colors available. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.