Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all im a new user who has found a new home for me and me new to my home 1993 Mustang LX I am proud to be part of the fox bod fam and the mustang fam in a whole so ill be aking my appearances here alot. I bought this lx for 2000$ with title very very good condition from an elderly couple here in west san antonio, the paint needs it retouching and a few dents need to be lifted but thatll come later im not too interested in cosmetics just yet I need to make this engine last another great 20 years first :)

With that being said ill cut to the chase, I first started noticing that it hesitates to start, takes a few seconds of the key turn held down to get her going, after that itll ride smooth for a good while. But outta nowhere it starts hesitating like wanting to die gets all shaky and has died before. No exhaust smell, no overheating, chamged oil, oil filter.and spark plugs, so thats off the list. I took it to a friend who suggested changing the oxygen sensor closest to the catalytic converter . So I purchased it but am having a heck of a time getting it out and still havent, so im looking for several suggestions to the above problems and also how to get that sensor out, please do get back to with anything guys, thanks!!!

· Registered
616 Posts
I first started noticing that it hesitates to start, takes a few seconds of the key turn held down to get her going
Welcome to the forums. That is generally a sign of low fuel pressure, but could be something else. In any case, your Mustang could benefit from a quick check of the fuel pressure, but if you are going to hang on to the car for a while, I would suggest you replace the stock fuel pump and fuel filter anyway, along with some new spark plugs and wires. I would recommend a V-8 fuel pump, which is a direct replacement for the 4 cyl pump, unless you plan on doing some more serious modifications later on, in which case you might want to consider something with even more volume.

For the O2 sensor removal, try some PB blaster or Liquid Wrench on it while the engine is still hot. To avoid stripping the threads, once the sensor loosens, turn the wrench back and forth a few times to break up corrosion, before turning it all of the way out.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok OHC, I am making a huge checklist of the details I need to get this car going and your help has been put into that list I will keep u post...

As for the codes im not sure what u mean? Like my check engine light? Because yeah, that does come on periodically...anyhow do get back to me thanks :)

· Banned
1,366 Posts
again welcome to the forum, there are lots of knowledgable folks on here and they will hopefully get you going in the right direction. also clean your idle air control valve, test/calibrate your throttle position sensor. do a search on here on how to read and pull codes. your 93 will give 3 digit codes. its very simple with a jumper wire, that will point you in the right direction.as far as your O2 sensor goes, i found it easier to remove the header itself to replace the sensor than tryign to get the damn thing out with it in place. i have 2 o2 sensors in my garage if youd like one to try to see if it will solve your problem, they are slightly used but in good shape. send me a pm and ill try and save you some money,

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey bl817, thanks for the help i am totally looking forward to everyones extensive knowledge here on allmustangs, I am learning about codes as i type

I have noted everyone's suggestions and have made a sort of grocery list when going shopping at the auto parts store very soon. basically these are the main problems that I'm having after this is out of the way, would you suggest getting a new starter/alternator/anything else to keep this baby up to speed? I'm really gonna go all out with it I just need the right direction to head in and you guys are amazingly helping me out! Thanks I'll pm you bl817 :worship

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did I buy the right O2 sensor?

When looking up at my current o2 sensor still on my stang, it looks completely diferrent from what I bought, yet, the guy at autozone said this is the model number that fits my car, so is it? looks more bulky than the one on my car...i'd hate to install wrong parts on it :nono: Model Number is #15716

Thanks

Attachments

· Registered
654 Posts
one of the coils could be going bad, also it could be a fuel filter or sticking egr valve, also check the timing belt for cracks while your under the hood, won't cause the problems listed but its probabally never been done. retrieving codes is the best place to start for the problem your having.

· Registered
792 Posts
if you dont know how to check codes, a quick search the site or the thread i started on codes will net you the info.
+1 to eeyore saying check the timing belt, just gonna add that its worth it to take the cover off and get a good look at the whole thing. also, if any teeth are missing replace the belt before it leaves you stranded. (been there, had my stang do that, 5 missing teeth later had to have it towed home lol.) 93 should take a round tooth belt, do not use a square tooth or the mustang could jump time on you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.