Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dunno but...

Madmp3zz said:
Has anyone tried thisone yet?http://www.virtualrealitysoundlabs.com/vr3_fmmod.html

I wanted to get some input before I go out and buy it.
Is the sound quality the same as a straight aux adapter?
...its FM modulation, so strictly speaking I don't see how it could be. Even if its a direct lead into the antenna connection it won't be true digital, so it couldn't be as good. Will you notice a difference? Now that's a whole other question. I had XM for years on FM modulation with a direct antenna lead, and never experienced any problems, and was very happy with the sound quality. Switched to Sirius (Which I must say I like better. They have some music channels you just don't get with XM) and an FM modulator solution with no antenna connection, and, well, let's just say I asked Santa for the aux input from PIE (via logjam). Unless the price is significantly lower than $90.00 and that's a big issue for you I'd say go order the aux adapter. You KNOW what quality on that's gonna be.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I find the quality of FM modulation to be the same as with the aux adaptor. Both XM and Sirius modify "compress" the audio track, which affects the quality of the track. Your receiver can’t recover the lost quality.

The problem I had was that my Sirius Starbase unit can store favorite songs and will alert me when they are being played. With the Sirius hooked up with the FM modulator, I could not have the Sirius powered on and listen to the regular FM radio. With the aux adaptor, I can have the Sirius powered on, get song alerts and listen to local FM radio. Local FM radio is a better quality signal.

The FM radio signal has enough bandwidth to broadcast all of the audio range. The satellite bandwidth, due to the number of channels, has a lower bandwidth per channel than FM. Because of this, the satellite companies "compress" the song by cutting out parts of it. ie.: MP3. (It’s actually the other way around, compress the signal so they can have more channels) Its not a lot of lose but compared side to side, FM to satellite, FM to MP3, its noticeable. Its just not as "full" of a sound.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Madmp3zz said:
Has anyone tried thisone yet?http://www.virtualrealitysoundlabs.com/vr3_fmmod.html

I wanted to get some input before I go out and buy it.
Is the sound quality the same as a straight aux adapter?
The sound quality of any fm modulator is fair at best. If you live in any kind of urban environment finding an empty frequency is a major problem. Any remotely strong signal is going to stomp all over the fm transmitter signal. If there are a lot of fm stations in the area you may not be able to use the transmitter at all. I used a couple of different ones with my ipod until the pie aux adapter came out. The aux input is definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sam_abuelsamid said:
The sound quality of any fm modulator is fair at best. If you live in any kind of urban environment finding an empty frequency is a major problem. Any remotely strong signal is going to stomp all over the fm transmitter signal. If there are a lot of fm stations in the area you may not be able to use the transmitter at all. I used a couple of different ones with my ipod until the pie aux adapter came out. The aux input is definitely the way to go.
Where did you dind the pie aux adapter ?

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use the PIE Adapter and it works far better than an FM unit. I was using a Griffin iTrip I borrowed from a buddy, and wasn't too happy with the quality. A direct line-in will always have better fidelity than an FM transmitter, and it's not susceptible to external interference.

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Target.com just had them on sale for $75.

They are sold out just about everywhere.
The i-trip sux ass.. really bad..
This one is awesome..
I was driving thru Tampa and Orlando this week and never lost the perfect quality at all.....

Best investment I made for my car..

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's great, but...

Madmp3zz said:
Target.com just had them on sale for $75.

They are sold out just about everywhere.
The i-trip sux ass.. really bad..
This one is awesome..
I was driving thru Tampa and Orlando this week and never lost the perfect quality at all.....

Best investment I made for my car..
...at $75 a pop, and with the ease of installing the PIE adapter (see this thread...http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52960 ) why WOULDN'T you just go for the better sound and quality?
I understand the technical aspect of what MarcusGT was saying about FM over Satellite, too, and in a lab he might be right, but not in the real world. Let one bit of interference slip in there ( and with FM modulation I don't care how good it sounds, sooner or later it will) and all that is out the window. I will never, repeat never go back, and my modulator wasn't that bad.:cool:

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good point.

66stang351 said:
With that you will still needa aux adapter like the PIE to connect it to the radio.
Also, as I pointed out in the thread albireo referenced, it can't be used with anything other than iPod.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.