Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

IRS minispool pros/cons advice

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  WindCity 
#1 ·
I will be doing an IRS swap into my 98 mustang, however the 8.8 came with an open carrier. I am considering a minispool setup, at the present time trac lock is a little out of budget & I'm anxious to get the swap done. Some pros & cons on minispools or advice would be appreciated...stick with open carrier, hold off for trac lock/lsd, or minispool? Thanks.

#2 ·
i dont think you will like the spool. they really arnt meant for the street use, tho i have seen it done. i'd wait for the T-loc or put in a detroit tru trac. that way you dont get that annoying tire squeel every time you turn. and most cops will think you are hot rodding when you turn...

#3 ·
I've used a welded differential (same effect as a spool) on a roadracing track for thirty years. On the basis of that experience, I would recommend agains't it, simply due to the fact of its difficulty in slow corners. Having the wheels locked together, turning exactly the same rate, when the corner has two distinctly different radii (one for each wheel), the intermediate components are stressed to make up the difference in distance. Ergo, the tires must slip to make up the difference...tire wear (indicated by the squeeling of the tire). All components will be stressed until the tires equalize...ergo possibly broken parts. This happens on cars with lower power levels, too.

Rule: The more grip you have on the tires, the more stress applied to the mechanical parts in between.

IRS doesn't have the "jacking effect" of the solid rear, and keeps more equal traction side to side. Consequently, IRS has more stress applied in the street, or on the track, where the Solid housing will "lever" itself, lifting some of the weight off the inside wheel, allowing that tire to slip more readily.

I would run the open diff until I was able to get the Limited Slip.

Hope this helps your decision.

Bill
Buffalo, N.Y.

#4 ·
im curious.. where did you get the IRS from that it has an open differential? i would have assumed that it'd come with a t-lock but i know nothing about it

#5 ·
irs came from a mark VIII. I know it's gonna be some work & modifications to put in. I assumed it would have t-loc myself but no. I took it apart to swap gears & found open diff. I have a t-loc but it is for 31 spline axle & this is 28 so was checking other options. Thanks for all the input, maybe I should wait.

#6 ·
#8 ·
Just a quick question since this is an IRS topic! Is it a must to have the "cobra" style catback exhaust that goes under the rear for an IRS mustang? Just wondering since I cant imagine the regular up and over the axle exhaust on a solid axle mustang!

#10 ·
Sounds good! I was just curious about the IRS exhaust set up is all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.