Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a good deal on oil today on motorcraft 5w20. i was told it will give me better gas mileage and i got it very cheap.
i swaped out the oil and filter. and it still shows the same oil pressure as before.
nothing has changed so far.
my question is am i going to be okay running 5w20 syncthetic blend oil?
i know im suposed to run 5w30 but the autozone guys said it would be fine.
i just wanna be sure, i got a 300mile trip tomarrow and my mustang is my daily driver.
any help apreciated

-Jay

·
Registered
90 Posts
The guys saying that based up the lower viscosity less drag on the crank easier to turn more hp, etc. People run a lower viscosity in the winter and a heavier weight in summer months, as oil weights are defined by the two numbers the first being the oil weight when cold and second being what it operates at during running temps via the modifiers added to the oil. If your oil pressure didn't drop and the car cools correctly I'd say your ok. Might want to run a couple of squirts of oil stabilizer to make it stick a little more though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
5W-20 oil is a lighter viscosity than a 5W-30 oil and therefore has less internal engine frictional losses, or less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valvetrain, which in turn promotes increased fuel economy.
But then again it's a Mustang, I don't give a crap about fuel economy, if I did I wouldn't be driving a Mustang!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
ford released a tsb saying you can run 5w20 but i would stick with something a little thicker if you higher mileage

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
ford released a tsb saying you can run 5w20 but i would stick with something a little thicker if you higher mileage
Please post this as I would like to see it. I wouldn't run anything thinner than 10w30 on a pushrod motor. I just got my 347 and the builder told me also not to run anything thinner that 10w30.

·
Registered
912 Posts
i have it on alldata at work, ill copy the page and post it up here tomorrow

edit, it sayd 5w30, sorry, i was wrong just looked it up

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ill look into changing the oil. Until i do. Ill add some oil additive to thicken it up. It made it to indiana fine. Oil presure remAined the same as it was before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts