Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did an oil change w the called for amound of 6 quarts. After driving it for a few days I checked the oil and noticed it didnt read anything on the dipstick. I put another 3/4 of a quart in and it finally registered on the dipstick. Now when I start it up it kinda smokes a little right at the initial fire-up. After that it seems cool. Should I take some out or is this not big deal? It's a 03 Mach 1. Do they have bigger oil pans than the GT's?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
If you let the car sit and all the oil drain to the pan and it reads over the mark when you check it I would suggest draining a little and make it right. There is an amount for a reason as far as it messing anything up can't say I don't know for sure but I wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Full is stated in the manual as 6 quarts but 7 is preferred in the DOHC motors, that's what I run. It's kinda strange your not getting a level on the dipstick? I have a groove scratched in mine at the 7 quart level after the car has been run and cooled down:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
+1, up to 7 is fine. The Cobra, Mach1 or GT pan is the same for the 4.6's. My expedition calls for 7 but it's oil pan is no bigger than my L that calls for 6 and the same for my Cobra.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts