Ford Mustang Forum banner

Is age a factor in SYNC satisfaction?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmmmm, reading and posting on another thread about SYNC made me suddenly wonder if there is a correlation between people's ages and how well they get along with SYNC.

Thought it might be an interesting poll. :)

Whether you are voting pro or con, it might be helpful to other board members to know the year of your car and what devices you are using in combination with SYNC.

·
Registered
67 Posts
23 Years sync was a must for me as I manage my business mainly on the road.

I use an iPhone 4s and a blackberry bold 9900 on it. Works great on both devices

Only wish is that I could have both phones connected at the same time and that you could text using your voice with the iPhone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
23 Years old sync was a must for me as I manage my business mainly on the road.

I use an iPhone 4s and a blackberry bold 9900 on it. Works great on both devices

Only wish is that I could have both phones connected at the same time and that you could text using your voice with the iPhone.

·
Registered
603 Posts
23 and it works ok for me. I just hate how sometimes it doesnt register my zune, after a few mins of driving it'll be like ok ok now you can listen :trollface: lol.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Problems with the Synk have little to do with age, and I resent the infered stigma this poll represents. Age has little to do with computer literacy. In my case the Synk sucks beacause I have increased HP added headders and borla attack exhaust. As the pick-up mic is located behind the mirror it pickes up vibrations and external noises instead of properly interpeting my commands. I hear the same complaint from others in the mustang club I belong to (over 500 cars). When we have addressed this to Synk we get no help other tha return to stoc, Yea Right. The mike should have been placed in the steering wheel where it would have been isolated somewhat from external issues.:nono:

·
Registered
50 Posts
24 and I think sync works great. Most problems are with formatting on devices for mp3s. The menus are intuitive and i like the handsfree part of it.

G

·
0 Posts
Just turned 26 and I've loved SYNC from the beginning. The only complaint is it will not or cannot completely index my iPod music but it gets at least 95% so it does not bother me too much. Phone connectivity is perfect, with that and voice commands being 100 times easier than the Mercedes I work on.

In my case the SYNC sucks because I have increased HP added headers and Borla Atak exhaust. As the pick-up mic is located behind the mirror it picks up vibrations and external noises instead of properly interpreting my commands. I hear the same complaint from others in the mustang club I belong to (over 500 cars). When we have addressed this to SYNC we get no help other than return to stock, Yeah right. The mic should have been placed in the steering wheel where it would have been isolated somewhat from external issues.:nono:
FWIW Mercedes Benz and nearly every other manufacturer places the voice command microphone in the mirror as well. Don't expect that to change just because you want loud exhaust. If the mic were in the steering wheel you would hear a constant noise from your hands.

·
Registered
166 Posts
24 and I love sync! Not once have I had a problem with anything whatsoever. So glad I dont have to hold a phone up to my head while driving when the wife calls anymore:bigthumbsup

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
39 and do have some problems with it. I think it's mainly because when I do decide I want to try it...it's been so long since I've used it that I need to break out a user manual again. Just need repetition and I'd probably have it as second nature. I need to memorize the voice commands also.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
54 years young and have no issues using sync with my iPhone 4.

I recently rented a Nissan Sentra on a trip and found myself missing sync almost as much as torque.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
42, and it works well with my iPhone4; really a good option. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
129 Posts
SYNC works most of the time, but it is a typical microsoft product. Overly complicated (have you done the usb update process and gone through the many steps in some cases to find out you already had the latest version and then you have to re-pair your phone with SYNC) and not well integrated into daily life/use.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
non-voter don't have it...I would think an interesting voting choice would be age and the desire for Sync. I don't like voice controls unless they work well and abhor touch screens 50+ y.o. and I do work with computer controled machines daily and realize how great they are but quite often it's the interface that makes the differance and it seems from the reviews Sync ain't that good compared to other systems. I do look at the coming trend of touch screens and "interconectivity" in cars and it makes me cringe. Give me knobs/dials that are always in the same place every time with detents that you can feel so you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

rapidly becoming a dinasour......

G

·
0 Posts
I should point out I've never had to update my SYNC, built October 2010. Never met a phone to could not connect, I can swap between iPods with a 1 minute or less wait time, and everyone who has used it in my car never had a problem with voice commands.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've been around Sync in Fords since the beginning and we've come a lonnng way since 2006.

Heck I remember being very disappointed the 2008 $35k Bullitt didn't have sync.

I work in a tech startup. Regardless of what anyone wants to say or believe age is ALWAYS an issue in this business. :bigthumbsup

Especially when it comes to highly subjective integrated systems 'approval' rates like Sync's.

·
Registered
186 Posts
42 and I hate Sync. Never understands my southern drawl, cannot connect to different devices, help is worthless, most of the time I just get the bong-bong trying to use the damn thing.

Buttons work just fine, save voice for SciFi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
28 here and I'm quite disappointed by sync. It could be so much more, heck, I could do way better than this (no jokes, I'm working in a related field :winks). I'm using 4.1.3 on a 2013 Mustang GT without MyTouch

The voice recognition is spotty, works 60-65% of the time.

The USB support outside Apple product (and as dumb USB drive) is just poor.

As canadians, we don't get AppLink or any Services. I don't care why (either government approval or whatever), Ford should just make it work, it's their job...

I'm actually thinking about replacing the entire system with an aftermarket radio if I can find one that works well. Anyone got suggestion?

·
Registered
975 Posts
22 and 0 issues with sync. Voice recognition for me works 95+% of the time. Sure you have to make sure you speak somewhat clearly, but voice rec will always be like that to a certain extent.

One thing to note regarding playing artists/songs via voice, that most people don't seem to know about when I ask them:
The voice command is based on the mp3's ID3 meta data, it doesn't necessarily matter if it comes up on your phone as a particular artist or song name, if the ID3 tags are not set correctly, voice recognition will not work. This mostly affects people that obtain their music.....illegitimately. If you purchase it through itunes/amazon the ID3 tags come preset correctly. If you open the song in a program like iTunes you can edit the metadata.

Also, applink with pandora is fantastic and works flawlessly.

Also, those saying age doesn't have any relation to computer literacy, don't be ridiculous. It may not have a direct relation to computer literacy, but the simple fact that the younger generations have grown up constantly using similar systems simply makes it easier for them to interact with newer technology. I know several older men and women who are very good with computers/tech, but they are definitely the minority.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts