Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 88 GT 5.0 HO w/T-tops.i have it up for sale on ebay.had a few ?'s about the emblem on my dash.it has a 25th anniversary emblem on the passenger side but the title states it's an 88 not a 89 or 90.could somebody tell me what i should do about this on the selling point?any ideas or info would help. [email protected]

1988 FORD MUSTANG GT
25th anniversary V8 5.0 HO, Black w/red detail striping & name “Night Moves”, 5 speed, AC, power windows & locks, power steering, tilt wheel, cruise control, ABS, posi track, tented windows, T-tops, red strobe lighting under engine compartment & between tailpipes, red lights in wheel wells, hidden underbody blue/violet neons along front/back & both sides, all neons & lights on body are on board w/individual switches to each set, hidden neon under dash glows on floorboard & comes on with parking lights, sound system: Panasonic DP202 40Wx4 CD player/receiver detachable face, with a Kenwood Graphic EQ KGC-6042A, with boxed MTX 12 inch subs, with a Jensen A4000 multi-channel AMP 100wx4 Mosfet power, and with Pyramid Reno Series PB442 4 channel AMP base & treble boost thermal protection, alarm system, keypad disengaging start theft system, miles 143,583. Very little surface rust starting, needs paint buffed, needs new alternator & battery, needs minor work on AC (disconnected at this time).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-1988-FORD-MUSTANG-GT-25th-anniversary-V8-5-0-HO_W0QQitemZ4592909623QQcategoryZ6236QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Banned
66 Posts
Not the 88 I've got on too and no cigar.
following is from thr Mustang GT Registry

As a token commemoration of the Mustang’s 25th anniversary, Ford placed a small running horse emblem engraved with the words “25 Years” on the passenger side dash of all Mustangs manufactured from mid-April 1989 to late production 1990. This, of course, included Mustangs from both model years 1989 and 1990. Mustangs sold during this time period also had the same running horse emblem pictured in the background of the window sticker. After 1990, the running horse emblem remained on the dash without the “25 Years” engraving at the bottom.

·
Banned
66 Posts
No Emblem on my 88,never has been.If there's one on an 88 I'd say the owner put it on.That's my take on it.
No big deal,If a guy owns it, he can do what he likes to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya, but it makes it harder on someone else when they are try'n to figure out what is original to a car and what is not if they were never told by the previous owner what in the heck they did to it. but i guess it don't help me none because i was not there when it was purchased. my dad purchased it for his collection (he probably didn't even see the emblem, lol), then when he died 6 years ago, he willed it to me along with my 71 Mach 1 (i had to sell her also, but i know who purchased that one an where she lives, i also was given first option to buy her back if he ever wanted to sell her).

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
my 88 has no 25th emblem. and its bone stock straight from the factory except for exhaust and (for some reason) axles.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
no t-tops, just a sun roof. maybe the t-tops were made at the end of the 88 production run? closer to an 89? perhaps not a 25th anniversary, but rather a rarity or special edition for the 88? are you sure its an 88?!

i think the fact that youre not sure makes the car worth more. its definately a rarity if the dash is stock, and you can show proof the other 88 t-top cars have the same attributes. pretty interesting if i may say. gotta love this stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I don't think that the T-tops were made for the 88's but at the first of the year (end of 87-beginning of 88). After that I think ford stopped making the T-tops. And yes, I’m sure it's an 88. The man date on it is 9/87 and vin is 1FABP42E6JF123245.

Yes, the dash is stock with the emblem on it stating 25 years, just like in the 89 and 90 models that everybody says are the real 25th anniversary cars.
But what everybody does not think about is that ford really never announced a 25th year anniversary car per say. They announced a 20, 30, 35 and 40 year anniversary mustang but never a 25th year. They only put a little emblem on the dash (says 25 years, not 25th anniversary) of the ones they thought would be considered the 25 year mustang. They did it on the 89 because that is 25 years after the 64 1/2 came out and they did it on the 90 because that is 25 years after the 65 came out. So if they did 25 year emblem for the second mustang put out to the public then why wouldn't they do it for the 2 prototypes of mustang they manufactured for 2 years prier to the 64 1/2? Because in all actuality, those 2 prototypes were the first mustangs, not the 64 1/2 or 65. Just because they were never sold to the public does not mean that they were not the first.

Here is where I found some other people who have run into the same thing with their 88s as I have:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/printthread.php?t=38979

saj1420

03-22-2005 04:41 AM
the 25 years emblem is on my 88 gt.. i guess it could have always been added, but i dont know what else would have been there before
GhostDog 5.0

03-23-2005 08:38 AM
My 88 and 89 both had it. :doh:

and here is some more info i found:

· There was NO official 25th Anniversary model from Ford in 1989, even though this was looked into with several designs on body and performance modifications. All that Ford ended up doing was installing a running horse badge on the passenger side of the dash board, stating "25 Years" on the bottom of the badge. These badges were installed beginning in April of 1989 for one year, until April of 1990, the Anniversary model year. I have no exact start or stop dates on the badges. After April of 1990, Ford kept the badges in place, but they were now blank at the bottom, so only the Mustangs built within the Anniversary model year will have the "25 Years" on their badges. Ford also had a "25 Years" water mark on the window sticker with the running horse badge during this time period. That is the whole history of the 25th year of Mustangs from Ford. Unfortunately, we had to wait five more years for some celebratory support from Ford, but again NO official "Anniversary model" from Ford, not even for the 30th model year.
In 1999 Ford did finally introduce an OFFICIAL 35th Anniversary Model and an OFFICIAL 40th Anniversary Mustang was introduced for the 2004 model year.
http://mustang35th.com/note0309.html

the 25th nniversary emblem that came on the interior of 1990 Mustangs built between a certain range of dates (I am not sure what exactly they were) celebrating the Mustang's 25th Anniversary (Note: The descrepancy of 1964-1990 being 26 years is due to the fact that Ford only recognizes the fact that '64 Mustangs were actually sold as '65 models.). These were NOT actually Anniversary Limited Editions. There were no official 25th Anniversary Mustangs, although Ford did produce a limited edition Emerald Green Mustang in 1990. There have actually only been TWO official Anniversary Limited Editions, the 20th Anniversary in 1984 and the 35th Anniversary in 1999. Although I must say that I have met many people who have owned these 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Mustangs.

http://www.mustang35th.com//news0412.html

3,800 Emerald Green convertibles are built for the 25th Anniversary, but are not actually considered Anniversary models. The air bag is first added to the Mustang.

http://www.cardomain.com/guestbook/119498

88 t-tops are pretty rare.The first few months in 88 was the last year they made them you dont see to many 87 and 88 t tops around

So you see where my question about this comes from when people tell me my 88 is not a 25 year mustang, lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 88 has the emblem too

1988 convertible 5.0 gt

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Just the 89 and 90 I believe

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Regardless if you have the emblem or not, it provides not one penny in extra value. Other than the 89-90 Cars with the emblem, there was nothing different with the cars.

And the emblem was put on cars from April 89 to April 90 so if your car was manufactured in 87 and has the emblem someone just put it on themselves.

$10 and any car can have one: 1989-90 Mustang 25Th Anniversary Dash Emblem at LRS - Free Shipping!

My 89 was built in December 1988 and doesn't have the emblem.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I hope this helps everyone and puts this thread back in the grave from being revived from 7 years ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts