Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 110k miles and full bolt ons. Never got around to tuning it. I figured I would get a dyno tune just to see some before and afters. But I know they go full throttle. And I am wary that something may go wrong on the dyno. I have an insanely clean engine, with regular fluid changes, and very average driving loads. No CEL or other warning signs. Great oil pressure. Never done a compression or leakdown test, but I have no reason to believe it is bad.

So what do you think? Otherwise I will just buy a SCT with a bama tune from AM.

·
Registered
64 Posts
TO be honest with you.. you should be completely fine.. my 95 GT is on 152k miles.. and i just put a vortech on it... and it handles like a monster.. im going to be getting it dyno tuned on wednesday... i would say go for the dyno tune.. nothing can beat that. you will be fine :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
You should be just fine. Just think of it as a hwy punch it's about the same thing. Good luck from North Carolina.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
My take on a dyno run is unless you are truly dialing in parts, it's not worth the expense other than a talking point.

If anything, take it to the strip for some fun before and after. A dyno run gives you a sheet of paper.

To answer your question, it should not hurt your car *UNLESS* you have a bad drive train, poor compression, or other obvious mechanical issue.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
A custom tune is always going to be better than a canned tune, it won't hurt your car if it's in the great shape you say it is. I always enjoy seeing cars dynoed, I'd do it if I was you. BTW a 110K mile mustang really isn't "high milage", I have well over 200K miles on my Cobra and it runs as good as ever.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a clean car as well, engine very clean, no oil leaks or any leaks for that reason, and I have 111K miles as well. Hell yea i would throw my gt on a dyno. Just know that ford makes their **** strong. The way I maintain it, it should last me another 150k miles. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I have about 110k miles and full bolt ons. Never got around to tuning it. I figured I would get a dyno tune just to see some before and afters. But I know they go full throttle. And I am wary that something may go wrong on the dyno. I have an insanely clean engine, with regular fluid changes, and very average driving loads. No CEL or other warning signs. Great oil pressure. Never done a compression or leakdown test, but I have no reason to believe it is bad.

So what do you think? Otherwise I will just buy a SCT with a bama tune from AM.
Dynoing it is fine, but it just depends on how many mods you have. If you get a tune from Bama, you can just go to a dyno and have them run it to get you an idea of the power you're putting down and to check the air/fuel ratio of the tune (which is significantly cheaper than them tuning the car). The Bama guys will even help you datalog and make any necessary revisions (9 times out of 10, no revisions are necessary), if they see anything they can do to make more power, make the tune safer, etc. Many times, our mail-order tunes come out better and just as accurate than a dyno tune, depending on the level of mods that you have. With bolt-ons, this is usually the case.

Just a thought!

Give the Bama team a call if you have absolutely any questions, whatsoever. They're happy to help you!

This way you're also not pulling the car on the dyno 5 times to get it tuned in. You get the tune from Bama, pull it once or twice and you're done!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My take on a dyno run is unless you are truly dialing in parts, it's not worth the expense other than a talking point.

If anything, take it to the strip for some fun before and after. A dyno run gives you a sheet of paper.
Im planning on getting it tuned there too though, not just to see HP. But thanks to all! I'm excited to do it now! I'll post results.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
+1, it will be fine. Can't say 100% though but i don't see any issues if you've taken care of it and reg. maint. Alot of people want to know what you put to the wheels and track numbers. Also i like knowing what it's pushing to the wheels or the before and after scenarios. If your motor did pop, then there was something about to happen anyways and atleast it's at a dyno shop than on the hwy at WOT.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
That's not high mileage at all.............. Let her rip.

·
Registered
307 Posts
130 k here dyno'd it a couple times been through 6 bottles of spray

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just be prepared for the results and don't get "bummed out" its just numbers.
Haha I know. I'm prepared. I'm well aware that nPI's put down like 180 to the wheels stock. I'm hoping with my mods it will be a bit more than that.

Plus if any of you have read my other recent thread; it will help convince my dad to help me to a full PI swap since moms infiniti has 245hp. :bigthumbsup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts