Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know i have been out of commission for 4 months. So i wanted to start my old cars and fill the gas tanks ETC. My 1967 Firebird usually starts with 20 or so cranks. But this time NG. No gas to the carb. I disconnected the fuel line and cranked it. NO GAS. So with that i pulled a new pump off the shelf and installed it. I also blew back the fuel line to see if it was clogged. It was not. So i completed the pump instillation and cranked the BIRD once again. What the heck no start and no fuel. I then poured a cap full of fuel down the carb and the bird fired right up and was fine. So as i was cutting open the old pump to investigate the problem i smelled the varnish of stale fuel. What the heck!!!! So i will have to pull the tank and all the 9 yards that goes with my mess up. With that said i took my wife's car to work on Friday for some maintenance. You know Oil filter air fuel filters ETC. I pulled the fuel filter off and replaced it with a new one. With that as usual i spilled some on my sleeves of my uniform. What the heck it smelled like STAIL GAS????? But we use this car every day!!! What was going on!!! Well i use BP all the time my buddy owns the station. So with that i went to my gas can that i use for the lawn tractor. Same smell!!!! So be it as it may this fuel smells like its OLD. Does anyone have an explanation??? It has me BUGGED and i cant figure out why this fuel smells this way Peace Tom

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
if it's not getting any fuel to the carb then it's the pump or something related, you should see the carb at least getting wet if the pump is working...I'm not sure gas can go bad in 4 months, but I'd just siphon the tank to remove the old stuff if that appears to be the problem...add some water remover and a fresh tank and good luck.
You could also disconnect the fuel line and run a line to a fresh gallon on the ground and see if it runs...if so then yeah, it's the gas.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Does that BP station have ethanol in their gas?

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
All gas has ethanol in it...it's a federal law to be E10, unless you specifically pump non ethanol gas you are getting some corn with your gas

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Yep bad gas. My boss has farm and was going to get gas for tank up there. Distributor said reg gas would go bad in 3 months. He filled it with plus. We now run plus in all vehicle [company and personel] [2.3 get premium] Get enough better gas mileage to pay for it. Run stabil for mowers and MG. I guess soon will have to redone MG rubber lines etc because of alcohol. Let it to the government to cost me more money. Maurice

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Plus is just regular with a little premium mixed in.

Before ethanol it was around 55/45 reg to premium, but with E10 they cut down on the premium content because of the octane boost given by the ethanol.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Probably true but helps on the e-450 gas mileage. Like said the 2.3 t gets premium. [That is way computer is wired] Maurice

·
Registered
478 Posts
Tom, find out if he is a Branded Gas Station.
I suspect that he might be fielding the lowest price from various Gas Brokers (if he is an Independent Dealer.)
Also find out how often he has a Gas Drop. I'm sure he selling enough.
Just some things that cross my mind being in the business years ago.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How goes it BOOKS. Its a big place my buddy owns it. If he is buying BOGUS gas we are going to roll in (THE MUD THE BLOOD AND THE BEER) Sounds like a song i have HEARD!!! No its a BP station and my buddy is a stand up guy. But you never KNOW. Peace Tom:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
478 Posts
If any doubt, i'd take a look at his drop sheet (to see where he got the gas.) They won't have a price on it but will show the source.

Hey There You, Tom!

Having massive computer problems so can barely check this site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts