Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know why, but it seems like I am always in a situation where someone wants to race me. It will often happen many times a day, going from home to work and so. Whether it be one of those new zr1's, or even our fellow 5.0 and 4.6 groups. I feel offended that it happens to me so much. Although i am 16, i would never race my baby, and i get so much crap for it at school. Getting High School ride of the year doesn't help much with the situation either. Everyone tries to prove that their car is faster than the "Ride of the Year". Funny how i see that most are from my school too. Just for the seriousness of my situation, i got 4 stoplight challenges on a 3 and a half mile trip back home tonight. The lineup included a srt4, c6 vette, newer style v6 stang, and a older civic. All my age, although the guy in the vette was late 40's, drunk with his girlfriend. These guys all pull up to me and honk 2 or 3 times and rev their cars, so im pretty sure i know what they are doing. I even try to avoid taking my parents places in the car just because i know someone is going to do it. I mean crap, ive never taken the car higher than 55 miles an hour before. It happens even before school. I dont know. Just wondering if any of you have the same problem.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I think it's just the way people are.
I have people try to race me all the time when i have my kids in the back seat. It's not like they can't see the car seats. I just let it go because it not worth it to put myself or my kids in danger. The ones that really bother me are the ones that ride your bumper trying to bait you. I do have to give you props for your self control especially for a person your age.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) Naah, it's you. :gringreen People never do that to me. But, my car's a sky blue convertible. Maybe it just looks slow, which, in all fairness, it is. The 260 2bbl automatic wasn't exactly a ground-pounder. :nogrinner

·
Registered
378 Posts
yea I make sure I'm in the right lane and rev it up :naughty Get them all excited as the light change I let out the clutch and turn right...hehehe.. fun stuff hehehe

·
Registered
457 Posts
yeah man, its the car. i've got a '65 and same thing happens all the time to me. right now its just got a tired ol' 289, but building a stronger 302 now.

wait til all the riceburners here in this town get a load of that when its done.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
It's not you, its the car. The kids here in Moon decide that they want a race even though they know my car is a 6 banger. They pull up at the light, rev a couple times, and when the light goes green they floor it, while I just gently accelerate through the intersection. Then I will hear them bragging about how they took on this big bad classic Mustang, then I get to have my fun by saying this. "Oh yes it must be so difficult for your ricer to beat my rusty, damaged 6 cylinder 43 year old Mustang." Then they loose the attention of the people they were telling the story to.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Its the car. If your going to drive it you will have to deal with those people. I get challenges all the time from all kinds of vehicles. They all just want to say that they beat a mustang. I have people pass me a lot just to get in front of me and slow back down. It's just something about mustangs that make people want to race or pass you.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I had to take the bait one time on the interstate years ago. Let him catch up twice. It was fun. My buddy was laughing his arse off. Can't do that now, the cops would ticket the crap out of you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
After the fast and furious everyone thinks their a racer. so its not you or the car its the dumb people reving their engines, the all want to be like the Vin Diesel of their town. it happened to me and my friend yesterday in his stock vw bug.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha, thanks guys. Good to know its just the car. They just hate on me because i got the nicest classic on the lot. Just a little story to tell right now. Tonight, coming off work at ten, a guy in a tuned up lexus is300 drove right up to me and gave me the bird and started to accelerate back and forth. The road was narrowing so I cought him off guard and got right in front of him on a 2 lane road and slowed down to 30 miles an hour. speed limit was 45. I turn up the stereo with some classic Queen and about as loud as it could go and i just cruise for the whole dang road. He tried to pass me up going in the next lane but their was oncoming traffic. Ahh, revenge is a B**ch. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't cave in to the throw downs. A ticket or even worse an accident at your age will send your insurance premium through the roof. It's not worth the risk. Tell those guys to do their racing on the track.

If you think driving a Mustang is bad, try driving a Cobra replica. You simply learn to ignore all those idiots....I must admit that the loud exhaust pipes sure make it easier though:hihi:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well crap, a well built cobra rep. would smoke most things on the street anyways. My worn out 302 just wouldn't have the juice to smoke cars nowadays. Maybe by senior year ill get some more respect with all the summer mods!:racer:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Scary thing is that it doesn't even matter the look of the car. Before I got my girl all fixed up and looking good, I was still getting the challenges. The engine was so rough that I would randomly stall out at lights or stop signs. Had a guy in a Z6 try to race and another in an IROC tried to go for pinks. He was giving me a jump (I thought it was a dead battery) and wouldn't stop trying to talk me into a race for each other's car. Now it's louder, faster and a beauty - but I still won't race.
"Look man. I don't care if your car is faster, either way, mine is a classic 1967 mustang - and yours is not!"
I did that with the IROC guy and he finally backed off.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah bud its the car, i am guilty of it too, and yes sometimes i will race a person but it comes with having a muscle car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I get more thumbs up :bigthumbsup from other drivers and questions like, what year is that? when I pull up to a stop light! Maybe its' because I'm a 50 years old kid and not 18! Honestly don't take the challenges, they are not worth a ticket, an accident or worse endangering the lives of yourself or others. Save the racing for the strip! Enjoy your Classic Stang I can assure you that they are all just jealous! Keep on Cruisin! :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
i get all the same stuff...its very very very annoying...i tell them the car is for showing and cruisin not for wrecking over reving and being ticketed....the car is a target to all the cops too....i got yelled at in school for speeding in my car off grounds because simply...everyone knows your car because not many kids have them and teachers/students dont like you for it....only advice is park it far away and tell kids your car is for looks and to perserve a classic not to race....tell them that if i wanted my car to race i wouldnt of bought a classic....those kids dont understand dont worry about it....just remember all eyes are always on you as a teenager with a car adults dream of....ive learned many times :gringreen

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.