Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to purchase a plenum cover from Midwest Auto Gear after seeing recent threads on them. I was wondering on a scale of 1-10 how difficult (10 being the hardest) is it to install one? My mechanical knowledge is limited and I dont really want to pay a shop to have it installed. Do you have to remove the throttle body and/or replace any gaskets associated with the throttle body or not.
Thanks again....

·
Registered
451 Posts
I don't know about the ones from Midwest, mine came from Ford. It was a piece of cake, a definate 1.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Buy the one from Ford. It's half the price. There is a thread on here with the part numbers. Even with the removal and replacement of my strut brace the whole job took under 10 minutes.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I'd rate it barely a 1, which is about how many minutes it took to install. I took more time finding my wrench than to install it. It comes with instructions which are easy to follow. If you can follw the "rinse, lather, repeat" instructions on a bottle of shampoo, you can install the cover. There's nothing major to remove. Personally, I like the Midwest cover better than the Ford cover. I actually forked over the extra dough for a custom painted cover for something really unique.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
2horseowner said:
Buy the one from Ford. It's half the price. There is a thread on here with the part numbers. Even with the removal and replacement of my strut brace the whole job took under 10 minutes.
+1, and its a 1/3 of the MAG cover.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Man, just look at it this way, I may quite possibly be the most non-mechanically inclined, person on this site and I was able to install it myself in about 15 minutes. So if I can do it, any one can.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once again, thanks to all have helped. Im ordering today and hopefully will have some pics posted late next week.
The people on this site are the best when it comes to our stangs.

S

·
0 Posts
HazMatLadder26 said:
Once again, thanks to all have helped. Im ordering today and hopefully will have some pics posted late next week.
The people on this site are the best when it comes to our stangs.
So which one are you going with? Definately post pics after install. I want to clean up my engine as well but I'm saving for go-fast goodies.

Snack

·
Registered
787 Posts
Here's mine

The cover took 30 minutes to complete. 25 to find the right socket and 5 to install.

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just called MidWest (very nice people) Plenum cover will be delivered on Wed. or Thurs. of this week. I'll have pics posted by the end of the week.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Snackmaster said:
So which one are you going with? Definately post pics after install. I want to clean up my engine as well but I'm saving for go-fast goodies.

Snack
Airbrushed with American Eagle and Flag with Stars and Stripes. It looks sweet on the web site. Only had one in stock.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How does it look?

Well, here it is. Installed plenum cover today. I think it looks pretty nice. Thanks to everyone who helped with advice.
PS- Midwest Auto delivered on the day they promised. Great people to work with.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
HazMatLadder26 said:
Well, here it is. Installed plenum cover today. I think it looks pretty nice. Thanks to everyone who helped with advice.
PS- Midwest Auto delivered on the day they promised. Great people to work with.
Damn fine artwork...looks very sharp. Yes, I went with Midwest aswell, only becasue Ford had not offered theirs at the time I bought mine. Plus I wanted to continue with the red/black theme. Now I am thinking I should have added a checkered flag with the red and black.....things that make you go hhhhmmmmmmm...:D

Is your strut tower brace completely clearing your new cover? I would hate to see it rub off that cool art work.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mrvandermey said:
Damn fine artwork...looks very sharp. Yes, I went with Midwest aswell, only becasue Ford had not offered theirs at the time I bought mine. Plus I wanted to continue with the red/black theme. Now I am thinking I should have added a checkered flag with the red and black.....things that make you go hhhhmmmmmmm...:D

Is your strut tower brace completely clearing your new cover? I would hate to see it rub off that cool art work.

Hello Again mrvandermey...
Yes it does clear the tower brace...barely.
I can fit a piece of paper between the tower brace and the plenum cover. And you were right, it took me about 15 minutes to find a 8mm deep socket and 10 minutes to install. And that includes removing and re-installing the tower brace.
BTW- you have 999 posts. Where will the 1000th be...........

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
HazMatLadder26 said:
...........BTW- you have 999 posts. Where will the 1000th be...........
Lol, wasnt here. Edit: hey it was my 2400th post here

HazMat, coolant looks like it needs to be topped off.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stoenr said:
Lol, wasnt here. Edit: hey it was my 2400th post here

HazMat, coolant looks like it needs to be topped off.
Hey Stoenr- Another old friend..... 2400 must be some kind of record. I can remember some of your step by step guides for mods. I think one of them was the short throw shifter. Sometimes my memory is in a fog, if you know what I mean:yelpleased:
I'll look closer at the coolant. Why would it be low with only about 7k on the car? Could there be a problem?

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I doubt theres a problem, just figured when changing those hoses you had to lose some.

When I changed the hose from the overflow to radiator I lost a bit.
Only because I removed the old hose, went back into shop to measure origional against the replacement I got sidetracked, came out to car and had a big puddle under the car, ooops! No biggie, we stock every antifreeze thats out there, topped er off with valvoline/zerex GO5.

Edit, I see you didnt change any hoses. Not sure. most cars just dont lose antifreeze for no reason. Maybe yours wasnt as full from factory as Ive seen others

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a question. (nice eagle cover, by the way!)

I have a Steeda strut tower brace and I'm wondering if the plenum cover will fit under it. Anyone have a similar setup?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I just got and installed my Ford plenum cover part #7R3Z-6A949-AA $49.87 plus shipping $9.95 and it took longer to get it out of the box and unwraped than it did to install, for this part you also need 2 ea. of W712289-S437 studs and 2 ea. W520411-S437 nuts (05-06's) this dealer was great5 on service etc. www.fordparts.com Ken is the man! ph.#1-800-270-7531 5 out of 5 stars:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts