Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I put out there before. I now own a 2003 Mustang GT Vert V8, which is a huge upgrade from what I had (1999 Mustang V6).

The clutch in this car is not so forgiving and have to get used to it. But that's not the issue. After driving this car for 2 weeks it has become my baby as they say. I decided to look into how to improve my manual driving skills, well let me tell you!

I had to re-adjust my whole driving habits because I don't want to ruin this bad boy. So now I'm downshifting and using engine braking when coming to a complete stop and rev matching as well.

I am upshifting at the proper MPG/RPMs in accordance with the cars owners manual. Because I want this car to last me a very long time and keep the car happy.

I'm always wiping the car down and keeping it clean, even if I'm at work! (on my lunch breaks of course). I'm also always keeping the interior shiny, clean and smelling good.

But, I'm just curious if it's just me going crazy or if anyone can relate because I love this car a lot and want to preserve it as long as possible.

Any advice from the Vets out there is also welcomed :grin:

Much love ya!

·
Registered
185 Posts
"The clutch in this car is not so forgiving and have to get used to it."

When I first got my 2001 Cobra, I thought the same thing...until the pilot bearing welded itself to the input shaft in the middle of traffic. Now, if i am coming to a stoplight, I shift into neutral and let the brakes do the work. I don't put it into gear until the light turns green. And if you happen to be on an upward slope definitely don't use the clutch to keep from coasting backward. The fact that you care about the car will lead you down the right paths for longevity.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Cobra2572 I love the fact that you own a Cobra, I wish to own a Cobra one day. Since I found out that putting the car in Neutral and breaking can burn additional gas on the car. While keeping it in gear and letting the engine break the car for me allows the injectors to shutoff, hence not burning additional gas. I just want to keep the brakes and the clutch happy and keep the car happy as well for a long time. And thank you, i look forward on the longevity of this car, it's my baby and look forward to buying a Cobra and having to babies lol.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
One suggestion......it's really a good thing to properly learn how to use a clutch, but, downshifting....even with rev matching specific to daily driving coming to a stop.....that's not a good thing so to speak as that induces a lot of clutch disc wear....it's really best to let the engine rpm drop, use your brakes and put it in neutral as you come to a stop......leave the car in neutral until just befor you are going to go...this also reduces TO bearing heat buildup...….. this is a standard driving technique taught (use to be) in all driving schools years ago.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Beechkid Thanks for the suggestion, that's a good point. I didn't really put much mind the that. This is my daily car and sometimes im forced to brake, let the rpm's drop and let the car slow down before put in the clutch and put it in Neutral, then stop completely. But now that you mention it, i like the way you suggested it makes sense for a daily.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm always wiping the car down and keeping it clean, even if I'm at work! (on my lunch breaks of course). I'm also always keeping the interior shiny, clean and smelling good.
I'm always cleaning my car. Every car wash I wipe down all the door jambs, trunk openings, etc. too. I'll pop the hood and wipe the engine down, underside of hood, etc. I wash it weekly. I have a neighbor that's always telling me, "You're going to wash the paint off that thing!"

Giving it a thorough cleaning today after work actually lol. Car show tomorrow :) I daily it M-F, and shine it up for weekend car shows. This one should be a good one, all Mustangs.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Regarding downshifting for an anticipated stop, ask yourself this: Which is easier and less expensive to replace, brake pads or clutch discs?

You will never ever ever notice any difference in fuel economy, btw.

Reactions: crjackson

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for sharing and helping, I'm going to start cleaning my Mustang on the weekends, I like the idea. Also downshifting has its place, but to be downshifting with multiple light on o e street doesn't make sense. I feel like I'll burn right through the clutch lol. But I was always under impression that if I'm in a high gear, and put it in neutral and slow down that way, that I would be burning gas faster and go through breaks like hot bread.

So basically it's busy to let the rpms go down, put it in neutral ánd come to a complete stop. This would save the clutch from Ware and breaks are cheaper and doing it like this won't affect gas economy. Does this sound about right to ya?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had my 03 GT Conv for 15 years and absolutely love it. It was my daily up until Jan of this year when I got a 19 S550 GT Prem with PP with the A10. I have to say I still have the factory clutch and brakes. No problem with any system at all, but will upgrade it all shortly. Be sure you take good care of the top on her too. I clean and protect mine every spring. Can't figure out how to flip pics lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Wolfzrat, maybe just take your foot off the gas, and when you feel like it, you can downshift. Just use some common sense, and use brakes! Coasting with the engine engaged on decel is fine! It can help slow you. The main thing is not to rely on your clutch to do your brakes' job. The ENGINE can slow you down. Slipping the clutch to catch a much lower gear and use that to slow the car though? That's not going to do you any favors.

If possible, go for a ride with someone that's been driving a stick for a long time, and you'll see how it all works together.

You'll figure it out, I'm sure!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Grimbrand Again super grateful for the advice, I agree that brakes are cheaper then a clutch. I am starting to get a feel for this clutch and what works best for me to slow down. The re-adjustment is coming out pretty good and I am getting much more comfortable with the car.

So happy I got guys like you to help me make my Mustang experience and being able to share that love of Mustangs with this awesome community. :grin::nerd:

Reactions: Grimbrand

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Bronco2fan Dude thanks for the advice, I will be cleaning my car this weekend, so excited can't wait.
Thank you for sharing the pics, you got to amazing looking Mustangs, I can't wait to own a newer Mustang one day (Maybe a GT-350 or GT-500) but for now I will love my little 4.6L V8 2003 Mustang. :grin: :nerd:

Reactions: Grimbrand
1 - 13 of 13 Posts