Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got ahold of a 351M which i THOUGHT was a small block just like the 351C. Well, I thought wrong. I finally when and picked up the vehicle is was in and got the motor and tranny out today and lord behold this thing was much bigger than i expected. The motor runs great so I have not completly tossed the idea of putting it in my mustang. So I was wondering if anyone knew what it takes to put one of these in my mustang. Anythings possible, So I'm gonna give it a try. But any advice will be much appreciated thank you.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
It is a small block just its taller then a Cleveland but has less power and uses the 2v heads.Whats wrong with your Cleveland?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The dimensions of the 351M are the same as the 351 Cleveland. The difference is in the bolt pattern of the bellhousing. It has the big block pattern where the Cleveland has the small block bolt pattern.

Motor mount location should be the same as the Cleveland. These blocks are actually considered neither a small block or big block, it's more of a mid-sized block.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Greek the deck height isn't the same the Cleveland is 9.206 inches the modified is 10.297 inches but they do share a lot of parts tho.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Andrew, you are absolutely correct. Upon looking at the Ford Racing catalog, the 351M motor mounts are unique to this engine and they have larger main bearing journal diameters.

I also found some more info on the "M". Aside from the taller deck height and because of this factor, accessory brackets for power steering, A/C, alternator and thermactor pump are specific to these engines. The acc. brackets from the 351C will not interchange.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The 351-M also has a larger main bearing size, longer connecting rods, and is heavier than the 351-C. It's generally not an engine used in performance applications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.