Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that taking the smog system off will shorten the life of your cats, but is it still possible to pass emissions if your cats are still good but without the smog system? Basically what Im asking is do your cats still function properly without the smog system (besides having a shorter life)? And one last question is will having 2 cats instead of one make your emissions any better (again, without the smog system)? Thanx in advance for any info

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
jbspeed86 said:
I know that taking the smog system off will shorten the life of your cats, but is it still possible to pass emissions if your cats are still good but without the smog system? Basically what Im asking is do your cats still function properly without the smog system (besides having a shorter life)? And one last question is will having 2 cats instead of one make your emissions any better (again, without the smog system)? Thanx in advance for any info
I don't know your local regulations, but if your engine is in a good state of tune with upgraded ignition components that burn all the fuel, it used t be possible to pass without 'em.

But again, in some states, it's not whether or not you pass the sniffer, it's the components.

So I don't know.

my 68 302 was cleaner than most modern cars . . .

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I am in NJ, they dont do a visual inspecion like under the hood and stuff, they just use a mirror to look under the car so they wont know the smog is gone but i will still have cats. Ill experiment and see what happens i guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like mentioned above, just make sure your car in a good state of tune, not too rich, and doesn't have a cam with a lot of overlap (the killer). Also warm it up good before taking it and make sure you have a pretty hot thermostat in there for testing. I have heard that it helps.

Visual ispections suck. We don't have any inspections in WV, but when it comes I hope legislators don't get greedy and implement visual inspections. If it passes, that is all that should matter.:winks

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mattsstang87 said:
If it passes, that is all that should matter.:winks
That is very true. Well I am rebuilding my engine and I will be putting on brand new Catco cats so I am pretty confident it will pass.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If the car could pass without the parts you removed don't you think Ford would have saved the production cost and not put them on your car. Cats will not last long without the air pump because it destroys the catalyst cells in the units which will allow negative emissions. I build over 525rwhp with all emission equipment installed and it cost me nothing in power to keep it, so why remove. I can change a head gasket in 2 hours and a intake in 30 minutes. I really don't see the reason to remove the parts they don't have a high replacement cost or high failure rate. My emission parts have 150k miles on them and I still past the sniff test and I even had the tech test my car using the new 2005 limits and I passed all but one only by .02 of a particle. I am not a tree hugger but I don't see why people in a emission check area waste time removing then worrying about it every year ot two.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i thnk some people are anal an d dont like all that crap in their engine bay
i know it bothers me, but im t oo lazy to pull it off.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like systronic said, i just don't like it there in my engine bay. Plus cats arent al that expensive anyway. And car companies seem to put things on cars just because they want to. Like if I can go buy a set of heads and add 50 HP then why didnt they just design their heads almost the same way and give the car 50 more HP to begin with? Basically I just don't want it there. If its going to cause the cats to not last as long, so be it, I'm willing to put out a little extra cash to replace them when needed. This might sound stupid and a waste of money to some but its my opinion and my choice. I was also thinkin to make a test pipe so I can take the section with the cats off and replace it with a straight pipe when im not going for inspection. Then they will last very long considering they will only be in use for one day every 2 years, thats only 5 days of use for the next 10 years. Oh well, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
jbspeed86 said:
Like systronic said, i just don't like it there in my engine bay. Plus cats arent al that expensive anyway. And car companies seem to put things on cars just because they want to. Like if I can go buy a set of heads and add 50 HP then why didnt they just design their heads almost the same way and give the car 50 more HP to begin with? Basically I just don't want it there. If its going to cause the cats to not last as long, so be it, I'm willing to put out a little extra cash to replace them when needed. This might sound stupid and a waste of money to some but its my opinion and my choice. I was also thinkin to make a test pipe so I can take the section with the cats off and replace it with a straight pipe when im not going for inspection. Then they will last very long considering they will only be in use for one day every 2 years, thats only 5 days of use for the next 10 years. Oh well, everyone is entitled to an opinion.
The reason OEM manufacturers dont use certain high performance parts from the factory is because of the cost of them, thats simply it. If you look at an Edelbrock head compared to a OEM Ford head, you'll quickly see how much detail and effort Edelbrock takes to makes sure you get every ounce of flow from their heads. But on the other hand, Ford OEM heads will consistantly have casting lines, uneven flows per cylinder and uneven chambers. It costs too much money to just throw on an additional 50hp to a factory vehicle...

·
Registered
417 Posts
The easiest way to pass emissions is to pay the guy extra at the inspection place. That's how we do it down here. Money talks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here, our emissions testing depends on the year of the vehicle. My 99 does not get a sniffer. They hook up to the OBDII port, and as long as it shows no codes, and that everything is ok then you pass. I have no cats on my car. Buth with a certain tuner I can manipulate the car into thinking the cats are still there and that the o2 sensors are reading normal.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WITELITENIN said:
The easiest way to pass emissions is to pay the guy extra at the inspection place. That's how we do it down here. Money talks.
Well I have a station around here that I can do that, I know the guy and my friend has done it at this place. But I am just thinking for the future. Like what if this particular shop goes out of business, under new ownership, etc. So this way I still have a way to pass inspection if this happens. Plus it would be cheaper if I just spend the $100 on the cats now cuz inspections at the DMV are free and at an independent shop its like $60. So you figure after 2 inspections thats at least $120 and obviously more than the cost of the cats. Not to mention I'd still have to throw the guy a few bux.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One more stupid question. Does the brand of the cats make a difference as far as how long they will last? I will most likely be doing the test pipe thing but I dont know if I will be able to do it right away because of time restrictions. Its taking me forever to do the work to my car because I work 9 hours a day and go to school at night so i only have limited time to work on it. Well, if anyone knows, just please let me know, thanx

·
Registered
24 Posts
I guess it would vary by State, but...

Here in Washington State, as in some others, they NEVER open your hood for an emissions test. In fact, the last several cars I've owned had the emissions crap ripped out from under the hood, for example EGR, Smog Pump, and the other worthless crap, and the ALL STILL PASSED emissions. I'm sure most people will agree, and I've seen it said already, that if your induction system (carb, EFI, etc) is tuned and adjusted properly, almost any car will pass emissions.

I'm not a pro, but I'm speaking from experience.

·
Registered
24 Posts
By The Way..

I almost forgot to mention, my present 88 LX with its mighty (gutless) 2.3L had a short block taken out of a 74 PINTO! Well, needless to say, when the idiot chose to replace the blown up engine with a 74 Pinto short block he was smart enough to leave out and remove and and all of the Emissions stuff that wasn't hooked to the computer. And even with its 3,498,995 miles (okay, I'm exagerating, but its a high number) miles on this block, with lots of blow-by, but with the original EFI, this car, after sitting under a tree for 5 years, passed emissions without the slightest problems.

I think you'll have no problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you guys think I can pass with this setup: GT40 block GT40 x-heads, e-cam, 24# injectors, Edelbrock performer, no cats and no smog pump.

I live in Chicago and I really don't know how strict they are here compared to other states, but we have no visual check, if you pass the sniffer you pass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.