Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
where would i get that part and how exactly would i install that?
Google product search. Should run you about $90. It requires a 12v connection (might want to make that an ignition-switched connection so it cuts on when you power on your car). Otherwise you just split from the amp (+) and amp (-) line level input wires that go from the head unit to the shaker amps under the drivers side dash. This will give you the pair of RCA Preouts you need to install any amp. My advice is to get this and your subs professionally installed, however, as you seem to be relatively inexperienced at car audio judging by the thread topic.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you have an amp with a high pass filter you can run a normal speaker input into the amp (some have a plug for that or just split an RCA cable) and then run a switched 12V line to your remote slot in the amp. That what I did with my stock stereo and it worked great.

·
Registered
73 Posts
here is a link to the one I am using . Easy to install . just tap into two rear speakers and your done . Car and Truck Auto Parts, Accessories and Performance Parts - GoFastParts.com
The only thing about this is you're taking an already processed signal (been through the equalizer, etc), rather than the line level output before the amps, which will always be the cleaner signal. You cannot, however, use the product mentioned above and connect between the head unit and the amps. Something will get damaged.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes, you need a line out converter. You can find them for less than $90. DONT spend $90 on a converter when you could get a new Stereo with RCAs for about the same price. Scoche part # SLC4 or Loc80 will work, they are both under $30 and do not require 12v power. There are also many other line out converters on the market. Ebay has several types. IF you are only looking to power some subwoofers these products work great but they are not the best for full range soung due to excess static & distortion at higher frequencies. Regaurdless of the brand or price I would only use these for low frequencies (subwoofers).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, you need a line out converter. You can find them for less than $90. DONT spend $90 on a converter when you could get a new Stereo with RCAs for about the same price. Scoche part # SLC4 or Loc80 will work, they are both under $30 and do not require 12v power. There are also many other line out converters on the market. Ebay has several types. IF you are only looking to power some subwoofers these products work great but they are not the best for full range soung due to excess static & distortion at higher frequencies. Regaurdless of the brand or price I would only use these for low frequencies (subwoofers).
Depends what the objective is. If it is to spend as little money as possible, then those scoche parts are adequate, but if you would like to preserve the factory appearance while adding an amplifier and would like to do it the right way, then an active line-out like the one I mentioned is the way to go

·
Registered
244 Posts
Even if he wants to "preserve the factory appearance while adding a amp" you don't need to spend $90 on a active line out convertor. A analog converter will perform just as good for a subwoofer application.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Even if he wants to "preserve the factory appearance while adding a amp" you don't need to spend $90 on a active line out convertor. A analog converter will perform just as good for a subwoofer application.
I would not say it would perform "just as good." Adequate? Yes, but if you have an ear for sound and/or need decent voltage out of your pre-outs, the active line out converter is the way to go as it gives you a full quality line level output with minimum 2.5v output

·
Registered
244 Posts
Either way your signal to noise ratio is going to be the same. It does not matter if your converter amplifies the signal or if you turn up the gain on your amp, you are not going to increses the quality of the sound just the overall voltage. I agree it may help if you need a higher voltage pre-out, but it is not going to make much of a difference on a sub. Its not like you are going to hear static from a sub hooked to a amp w\crossover. If he were hooking up mids-highs I would say use the active converter. If you have the "ear", chances are you are like me and would never considering using either device or the stock stereo.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Either way your signal to noise ratio is going to be the same. It does not matter if your converter amplifies the signal or if you turn up the gain on your amp, you are not going to increses the quality of the sound just the overall voltage. I agree it may help if you need a higher voltage pre-out, but it is not going to make much of a difference on a sub. Its not like you are going to hear static from a sub hooked to a amp w\crossover. If he were hooking up mids-highs I would say use the active converter. If you have the "ear", chances are you are like me and would never considering using either device or the stock stereo.
Turning up the gain on your amp isn't a good thing, as it can lead to clipping, which can damage your amp. The active line-out allows you to keep it as low as possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.