Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turn signal switch is loose causing it to only come in contact when you put it in the right place. Is there anyway to fix this or make the contacts bigger? The turn signal harness is brand new.

Thank you

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sounds like you got a bad harness. I just installed one today on my 66 and I get slight rub when I turn the steering wheel. The aftermarket harness are garbage. Sounds like your harness is worn out.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Please, when you post give us basic info on year and body style.

The harness runs up thru the steering column and is riveted to the terminals on a plastic assembly. This is screwed to the steering column and the lever is screwed in to the assembly. It is possible the assembly is loose. More likely it is broken. You will have to remove the horn and steering wheel to find out. It is not a big thing to change if you do two simple things. Make sure you have a good diagram of the connector before you take it apart. Tie/tape a cord to the end of the old wires before you pull them out of the column. The new harness and switch will not come with the connector installed because the wires have to go down a channel inside the column. You have to but it on.

The attached photo is of my '68.

Attachments

·
Registered
991 Posts
suggestion

suggestion

You should disconnect the battery first. A loud horn blowing tends to make most people uptight, and if you are like me, You can't find the correct wrench in a hurry-- and get more uptight... or is it up tighter??

Maybe someone will answer this question:

Should the + or - post be disconnected??

I always disconnect the "-" post.

Joe

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
You always take off the neg - terminal because if your wrench slips or the terminal touches ground it will not spark.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts