Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just was wondering, you know for sh*ts and giggles, is possible to put t-tops on say a 89 hatch? I have heard of sunroof kits, but nothing for the all fabled, American bad a**, t-top.
Do keep in mind I have considerable fabrication, and body work skills. But from a logistical stand point would I be cutting up a perfect fox body for nor, or with proper bracing could it hold up to body roll and all the other car physics goodies?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Sure. Earlier Fox bodies had them. I would strongly advise sub frame connectors. I believe 87's GTs could be had with them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, but I mean putting them on a car that has a solid roof. Good point tho.
Just throwing out ideas while I wait to get my car back.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Fox body cars never left the factory with T-tops, they were all aftermarket completions done before the dealers actually received them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
completely possible i just recently did the swap in a 93 coupe it really easy after i read up on some forums but actualy t-tops make the body stiffer then with out them

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
completely possible i just recently did the swap in a 93 coupe it really easy after i read up on some forums but actualy t-tops make the body stiffer then with out them
Only because of the bracing required underneath the car, it also makes the car heavier, by a couple hundred pounds

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
OK i dont want to throw a wrench into this idea but here GOES

DONT DO IT. They leak they Squeak and they weaken the car considerably. Other than that buy a DROP TOP if you like the sun beating on your BRAIN Peace Tom.

Forget this idea before it gets off the GROUND:nono::nono::nono:

·
Registered
344 Posts
the easiest way is to find a donor car to steal the top brace from. and the special door glass.

and the foxes t-tops never had bracing underneath like the mustang II's or the convert foxes had
so it does add a lil weight but not all that much. subframes connectors are nice additions but that is also true on solid roof cars.

lots of people do not like t-tops because they leak and rattle but once you drive one with them off they seam more than worth it. and thats why i own a few

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the reason it came up is I've had horrible experiences with a convertible fox in college... Top completely blew off on the last 6 hour leg of a cross country road trip, it just so happened to be 13* outside. Lovely drive home as well.

Tom I see your point thru and thru. Maybe in a while I'll find another convertible as a weekend toy, was just brainstorming.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
No worry's do this get a big cardboard box and close off all 6 sides and try and distort it. Then cut a couple of T Tops in it and do it again. The difference in strength is beyond belief. The Roof is an integral part of the cars strength and should not be messed with. With that said FIX THE DAM AC and motor on happily ever after. Just kidding around Peace Tom:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very good point though Tom, I gotta ship the car to my new house first... Damn you U-Haul. Unfortunately A/C has been deleted. It was a welcome little boost for my 2.3 however.

·
Registered
34 Posts
the t-tops have braces that come with the conversion so the t-top and the sunroof cars are just as strong as the solid roof cars trust me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts