Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mustang just hit 80k on the miles and i'm still wanting to do a few performance mods, such as 4:10 gears, demon coil n wires, and a CAI Tuner. Will the tuner be okay or should I not mess with all of that now that its hit 80k?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sure! Do it. I wouldn't go FI with that many miles, but that poor girl has been sitting there twitching waiting for you to feed her a Bama 93 Race tune with a nice intake!

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ya, i would do it. besides the times your running your car at wot, it might get better gas milage :gringreen then again, when you first get it, its hard not to test it all the time just to make sure its working right :hihi:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i'm not into the whole tuners and cold air intakes and what have ya, i'm young but restore older muscle cars so i understand carbs and all of that good stuff lol

Everyone one here is very knowledgable so ya'll tell me, for my Mustang that has 80k on it, what's a good one to buy? Money isn't an option IF it's really going to make a difference! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
jlt,powerfull great cai, sctx3 its pretty much the standard for dyno guys and tunes, and get the combo from tillmans and i`ll tell you why. tillman is a site sponsor. thats huge in my book. and the price is right. your gonna give someone the cash for the tuner, give it to a sponsor. then you can order a tune from bama any time. the 3 you get from tillman will run great too, so get a 87-89 performance, a high octane performance, and a race tune. ive got a bama race tune also, and i`d buy one from brenspeed, but i dont think they cater much to the v6`s. i`m still running tillmans. (now, if bama chips would step up to the plate, that would be a different story)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i'm new to this like I said earlier, can you explain to me exactly what this tuner from Tillmans is going to do? I seen when i chose the tuner you recommended, it gave me 3 options like you listed -- what are the 3 options going to do? So i'm buying the tuner from Tillmans, but you said i could go over to bama and order a tune from them at anytime, so whats the difference? It seems like i keep reading on here people are ordering from bama a combo kit for around 5-600 that includes the tuner and a cold air intake or something of that nature?

Sorry for the stupid questions, just not really sure on all of this computer stuff! So please ignore my ignorance!

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
So i'm new to this like I said earlier, can you explain to me exactly what this tuner from Tillmans is going to do? I seen when i chose the tuner you recommended, it gave me 3 options like you listed -- what are the 3 options going to do? So i'm buying the tuner from Tillmans, but you said i could go over to bama and order a tune from them at anytime, so whats the difference? It seems like i keep reading on here people are ordering from bama a combo kit for around 5-600 that includes the tuner and a cold air intake or something of that nature?

Sorry for the stupid questions, just not really sure on all of this computer stuff! So please ignore my ignorance!
hey theres nothing to be sorry about and for sure not stupid. that combo from tillmans is about 500. ( if you want to spend more you could get the c&l cai, but its in the same performance catagory) with the tunes, get a 87-89 performance, in case gas gets back to 5.00+ a gal( and it will) get a high octane( 91 or 93 whatever is available in your area) performance in case your running your race tune with premium and decide to take a trip, it gets better milage. getting tunes from different companys is just a option if your interested in seeing if one might be better than the other.50-75.00 a tune. my car runs great with either tune. i`ll buy parts from anyone if they can beat the sponsors deal. but the tuners are the same price no matter where you get it. we need to support our sponsors and keep this website strong. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sure! Do it. I wouldn't go FI with that many miles, but that poor girl has been sitting there twitching waiting for you to feed her a Bama 93 Race tune with a nice intake!
On the mustangcollective the say that you can add FI at any miliage as long as the motor has not overheated

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey theres nothing to be sorry about and for sure not stupid. that combo from tillmans is about 500. ( if you want to spend more you could get the c&l cai, but its in the same performance catagory) with the tunes, get a 87-89 performance, in case gas gets back to 5.00+ a gal( and it will) get a high octane( 91 or 93 whatever is available in your area) performance in case your running your race tune with premium and decide to take a trip, it gets better milage. getting tunes from different companys is just a option if your interested in seeing if one might be better than the other.50-75.00 a tune. my car runs great with either tune. i`ll buy parts from anyone if they can beat the sponsors deal. but the tuners are the same price no matter where you get it. we need to support our sponsors and keep this website strong. :bigthumbsup
So basically, from Tillmans, im buying tunes for 87-89 performance and then 91/93 performance and that will help with milage if i want to take a trip or will help the performance of my stang. So what is "FI" and all of that? And from Tillmans for that 500.00, is it just for the tunes and nothing else? I keep seeing people say buy the tunes and a cold air intake, should i just do the tunes and buy a CAI from someone else or buy it as a combo or?

Thanks for the help guys, im starting to understand this and i definitely appreciate ya'lls help with me being a newbie!

·
Registered
889 Posts
You make it sound like 80K is high mileage. At 100K I figure that the vehicle is just getting broken in good and the new car smell has finally faded. I usually trade in my cars when they hit the 250-350K mark (about 4 yrs of driving).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Now come on Bullmeister,He's just being cautious about his mileage.Not everyone has an 05 with 12,000 miles like mine.:laugh: Now does the CAI REALLY help in every day driving or just at WOT? Thought I'd throw that in to get someting started.:headscratch: Hey how's the Corvette running theses days?PM me if you can.

Oh to answer his question,what Amustangrocks said is +1.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
So basically, from Tillmans, im buying tunes for 87-89 performance and then 91/93 performance and that will help with milage if i want to take a trip or will help the performance of my stang. So what is "FI" and all of that? And from Tillmans for that 500.00, is it just for the tunes and nothing else? I keep seeing people say buy the tunes and a cold air intake, should i just do the tunes and buy a CAI from someone else or buy it as a combo or?

Thanks for the help guys, im starting to understand this and i definitely appreciate ya'lls help with me being a newbie!
its the combo package as explained in post #5. jlt cai/ sctx3 tuner/ 3 custom tunes. most places have the tuner for 379.00( and a little discount from out venders) your gonna get a good cai and tunes for pretty darn cheap price.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Heck 80k you are just getting started. Cars are built tp much closer tolerances than the 50' 60' or 70's autos. I have 89k on my Mustang and have been modding the hell out of it no sweat. I have used my 01 Corvette Z06 as my daily driver for over 7 years, aboout 1k track miles at the race track and about 100 passes at drag strips modded it up to 500hp and it still runs like a beast from hell :D Have no fear that you car is that fragile. Just drive it sanely, don't drop/side step the clutch at high rpm or other like bad driving techniques, you will surely break something then.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Now come on Bullmeister,He's just being cautious about his mileage.Not everyone has an 05 with 12,000 miles like mine.:laugh: Now does the CAI REALLY help in every day driving or just at WOT? Thought I'd throw that in to get someting started.:headscratch: Hey how's the Corvette running theses days?PM me if you can.

Oh to answer his question,what Amustangrocks said is +1.
Oh, all right...:shigrin

Yes the CAI and tune will help with daily driving. Running 91 or 93 octane tune and CAI will improve your gas mileage by several mpg IF (and it's a big IF) you can manage to keep your foot out of the accelerator and drive it conservatively.

12,000 miles? I think my wheel barrow has more miles than that on it. :nogrinner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.