Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine has around 130,000 miles.
is it worth rebuild an engine that has flat top pistons?
what could i do to this engine to make it gain at least
400 -500 hp?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
what could i do to this engine to make it gain at least 400 -500 hp?
Gain 400-500 HP? The block won't handle it. :nono:

True flat top pistons are fine, until you want to change the heads and/or the camshaft. If you're rebuilding the motor, that is the perfect time to replace the factory slugs with something with valve reliefs if you plan on aftermarket heads and camshaft.

·
Registered
608 Posts
400-500 is asking a lot from a stock 5.0 block. If you have the insane amount of money for an aftermarket block, go for it. As for making a solid 300 - 350, thats a good goal. I have an '86 and I replaced my pistons with some KB Icon forged ones with huge valve reliefs. Then I added some thumper ported GT-40P heads and a custom grind cam. The engine isnt in the car yet, but it just shows that you can rebuild one of these engines on a budget, or you can go all out crazy, its totally up to you, but any 5.0L is worth rebuilding

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what engine/engine block would be good for making 500hp?
can i find a decent used one that fits my 1986 5.0 for cheap and rebuild it

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
You could go 400-450 safely on the block you have if you change the pistons. Next step would be a 351, if you want more than 650 hp then you need a dart block.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
what engine/engine block would be good for making 500hp?
can i find a decent used one that fits my 1986 5.0 for cheap and rebuild it
"Cheap" and "500 HP" are exclusive terms 99.9% of the time :gringreen

You could go 400-450 safely on the block you have if you change the pistons. Next step would be a 351, if you want more than 650 hp then you need a dart block.
+1 to that.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Well whats your budget looking like? If you're really on a tight budget, a GT-40 set up with an off the shelf cam would make decent power. If your looking to spend a little more, theres the edelbrock E street heads, or if you wanna go all out, you could grab some AFR's or Twisted Wedge heads, a Track heat or other intake mani, and top it off with a Vortech or a turbo kit, its all in the budget, what do you wanna spend? But don't forget, with great power, comes lots of suspension and drivetrain mods. A car that makes 450hp is gonna need lots of suspension work or its not even worth it, not to mention an upgraded transmission and probably better axles if your gonna run clicks. Def gonna need subframe connectors or your chassis gonna twist like a bread tie. Just tell us what your goals are and what your budget is and we can help you find a number of options

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not the gt40 heads a aftermarket cam, i like the idea of the twisted heads and everything else you mentioned, i know i wont happen
over night even with the $$$ available , but im looking at least 2 years to get it completed and take it from there....

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Trick Flow makes great heads, but they alone aren't going to get you anywhere close to 500 HP.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The twisted wedge is a good set up, but I've seen pistons specifically for those heads so I'm not sure it you need certain pistons for the valvetrain design. Also, you need to count in machining costs. My custom ground cam only cost me like $250 - $300 if I remember correctly, so that would be a great way to go, also, if you want power cheap, forced induction is a great way to go, but as mentioned earlier, def gonna need a built transmission, or an alternate tranny all together. as mentioned earlier, if you could get a 351W roller block ,that would be pretty sweet too. My build in total I think cost around 3500 with ported and polished gt-40 heads with stainless valves, new pistons, new connecting rod bolts, an engine rebuild kit and all machining costs. Of course theres all the little things you overlook like bigger injectors, and a larger maf and TB as well as a higher capacity clutch, you just have to look into all that stuff before hand so you don't wind up out of money like me :kooky:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am doing a build like this right now. I am going with ported and polished Gt-40 heads along with a professional products typhoon intake. All internals are going to be stock sized but Forged. Getting a good set of bearing for the bottom end and cam. Going with a E303 cam and ending this all with a 70mm throttle body and a set of 24lbs injectors. I am hoping to hit 350hp with it tuned right. I am also hoping that this set up will handle a turbo but i think i will have to go bigger on the injectors.

Please give me some feedback on this set up!

Thanks guys!:)

·
Registered
864 Posts
I am doing a build like this right now. I am going with ported and polished Gt-40 heads along with a professional products typhoon intake. All internals are going to be stock sized but Forged. Getting a good set of bearing for the bottom end and cam. Going with a E303 cam and ending this all with a 70mm throttle body and a set of 24lbs injectors. I am hoping to hit 350hp with it tuned right. I am also hoping that this set up will handle a turbo but i think i will have to go bigger on the injectors.

Please give me some feedback on this set up!

Thanks guys!:)
As far as I have found with the GT40 setup you will not see any thing higher than 270-300 rwhp

·
Registered
27 Posts
Talked to the guys out at cj pony parts in harrisburg. They said with the setup i am going to run i should see 425 rwhp and that is with worked Gt-40 heads and stock internals so they said i will see a little more with the internals i am running.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Talked to the guys out at cj pony parts in harrisburg. They said with the setup i am going to run i should see 425 rwhp and that is with worked Gt-40 heads and stock internals so they said i will see a little more with the internals i am running.:bigthumbsup
Maybe with that turbo you were alluding to but with out it I would say............Not even close.

·
Registered
88 Posts
500hp???

Just get a different motor!That's insane for a 5.0.Start looking at building a NEW 351.What the hell do you need 500hp for???Stupid!,good luck keeping the tires down on a fox body LOL!!!:heha:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts