Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speedometer works intermittently . . . anyone know a fix?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Its electric.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
It's cable driven. You may want to get underneath the car and inspect the drive gear. It could be worn as they are made out of plastic.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's one vote for electric and one vote for cable driven . . . :doh:

Guess I'll climb on under and see . . . but ssin' as it's 115 here . . . I'm gonna wait a bit.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Maybe one of us is misunderstanding where the connection is, the reason I said its electric is because Ive removed my gauge cluster and from what I recall there were 2 electric cables connecting into it at the back.

So I could be wrong, maybe there is a cable connection some where but I just didnt see it. (Not where the cluster connects anyway.)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well . . . the verdict appears to be in . . . I think. There is a 2 wired clip that plugs into the driver's side of the tranny. One of the wires had been cut and (poorly) spliced by someone before I got the car. Anyway, I reconnected the wire and the speedo works fine. I looked for a cable, but didn't see one. But, I didn't look that carefully.

I think the clip is for the spped sensor for the cruise control. Thus, I am led to believe that the speedo is electric. Until I get under it again, that is. :so

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
It IS electric. Pull the fuse for the radio and overhead light and watch the speedo not work.

Sounds like you have a bad wire. Solder the wire back together and use shrink wrap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.