Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the car dead today. Day before the voltage was really low and wasn't going back up with RMPs. I jumped the car after I cleaned the terminals and all that. Car ran for maybe 1-2 min and I turned it off after seening no change in voltage as I revved it. Looked at the motor after it was off and I smelled the begining stage of something burning. Felt the alternator and that puppy was HOT! thats where the smell was coming from. That means its time for a new alternator, doesn't it?

I got it from NAPA in 07 and never had any issues with it. I have HID's, subs and amp, do you think I need a bigger better alternator? Or just get the free replacement from NAPA? ( I think its free still, hasn't been that long)

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you still have the stock alt, i would say go bigger with what you have running in the car this way you have room to upgrade later but thats just my two cents.

Greg

·
Registered
229 Posts
i would recommend a larger alternator, especially if you use your subs frequently.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I figured a bigger one but no one answered the main question....is my alternator dead now??

·
Registered
883 Posts
Lol yes, take it down to Auto zone, have them run a free test on it. Mine went out about a year ago and had to get a replacement. unfortunetly I only got the stock replacement and then I got a stereo system and now my light dim hella bad so I gotta upgrade. But to make sure whether your alt is still good or not take it go get tested.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well check to see if it's charging with a volt meter or if not take it to NAPA or Autozone like ******* said and have it checked out. If you still got warranty get a new one just so that you can drive it around but with what you got on the car I would start considering an upgrade.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I spent about 2 hrs tracking down the store I got the alternator from and it ended up being in Cottonwood, CA. I talked with the there and after about 30 min the found the receipt and Faxed it to me. I got lucky there, most places wont do that. Then I talked to NAPA here and they didn’t have one or even show it in stock. Closest on was in Sacramento, CA and I would have to pay shipping charges. I didn’t really want to do that, so I kept talking to the dude and he remembered that the NAPA warehouse MIGHT have one so I called 1-800-let-napa and located the only alternator in Oregon. Its not even one that they stock, it’s for special order. So I called the shop that had it and the rep I talked to asked when I bought it, I said “6/12/08” and he said it was past the 90 day warranty (which it was) and that I'd have to pay $200 for the new one + core charge. I told him no way I was paying for that. he told me to bring it in and he'll see if he can do anything but most likely I’d have to pay.
I was like dude...I'm not driving all the way to you guys just to pay for it like I’m probably going to have to. So after a little negotiation...he put another dude on...talked to him for a bit and got him to let me exchange. So I’m getting a free HO 135amp alternator ( I think that’s the output)…no charge. I’m going to be picking it up a little later today, just thought I’d share my story.:wavey

·
Registered
883 Posts
Sweet deal...nice work on the hustling =) you should never pay twice for the same stuff if you didn't break it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks...oh and the one I got...is even better than the one I had, or so it looks like it. There is actually a directy cable that goes to the battery itself, not through the existion harness. I had to hardwire one wire to the harness. Oh and the upper bolt, the 9/16th bolt, yeah it doesnt work, the bolt itself is too think, the diameter of it. I had another bolt I don't know what it was for, looks like fan to pulley bolt and its working fine. I just need to buy one thats a bit longer to get a better hold. I'll take pics tonight so you can see it. It also sounds almost like I have a mild SC at idle-2500, its a pretty loud whine.:hihi:

Its funny cause everyone is always asking if its SC or Turboed. I'll try to get a vid as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.