Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a quick way to check your catalytic converter? If one were starting to go bad what kind of symptoms would you have.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Get an off-road H-pipe, then your cat problems will be solved. But if that is not what you want, then I will try and help you. It will be running really rough, and your exhaust coming out of your tail pipe/turn down, whatever you have, will not have much pressure to it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ya i would get a off road x or h pipe for more power, but you can tell if you cats a junk (sometimes) if you hear a rattle inside the cat. or take it to a local muffler place and have it tested

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an x-pipe on now I do hear an occasional rattle will the car pass emissions without the cats? I remember when I got my flowmasters they change one of the cats to a low restriction cat but if I don't need them iI don't want them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
not so sure about the emissions thing. Oh, and my father said that one way to check it is when the motor has been running for a while, look and see if the cat is glowing red, because if it is, that means that all the exhaust is getting backed up there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks funkbuster and crew i did notice the car is hotter than normal but i will drive it at nite and see if it glows thanks for the help....

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
if they put any type of probe in the exhaust stream for your emissions test then you will most definately need the cats. another way to check them would be when it is cold, tap on them with a rubber mallet, and if they rattle, then they are in pieces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.