Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a couple of hours of sitting, I attempt to start the car. I then have a very long crank, and then smooth fire. I have noticed that when I first key on, the pump just doesnt always prime... and then the 2nd time I key it on, it will give a very weak prime, then the third time it will prime fine... Normally I would think that there is a wiring issue, but I ran out of gas about a week before it happened for the first time. Did I ruin it?

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Most fuel pumps fail from heat. When you run out of gas there is nothing inside the tank to cool it off. You may have ruined it.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
That's a good corrolation. The symptoms you describe, however, almost sound like the relay. They're like 14 bucks or something. I wouldn't buy one, but if I could swap in a known good one, I'd try that before getting a new pump. The relays are different after '90 or '91. If you're really careful, you can remove the cover on the relay itself, and inspect the contact points for corrosion. The exposed coil wire is very easy to mess up.
If it's the original pump though, it is pretty much a sure bet that it's toasted. I replaced mine because it was louder than the engine! What size pump are you looking at?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am looking at a 255 l/h pump, because of my turbo plans. I know it will be really loud, but I dont care about that. Also, they are really not that expensive, so I figure why not? I also do believe that it is the original pump. Is the relay behind the rear hatch interior? Or is it mated with the pump in the tank? Can I buy one at Napa? Thanks

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
The relay should be under one of the front seats. The Inertia Switch is the one in back. I know the 'zone carrys them, I'd bet Napa does too.
I like to get stuff like that from junkyards and parted out cars. Most people don't know what the hell they are, and will let 'em go cheap.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah me too, but once I came to school up here, I cant cause there are no good junkyards around here. It sucks... Thanks, Ill go and try that first. Also, have noticed that it seems to prime better when the tank is full, this leads me again to the pump....:( Well, Im looking at doing a clutch too, so what the hell, its only money right? Also do you guys have any experience with Spec Clutches? I was looking at the stage 2 they sell, lots of torque capacity and judging by the materials, it doesnt seem like it would be a really harsh engagement. i dont care about how hard the pedal is, I just want this clutch to work for my turbo... Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.