Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my vin OF05M186073 ,all original . What is do I have a 351C or a 351M and what is the differance? Yes I'm new at this:laughlitt
Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Don't know about the vin#, but as far as I know the 351-M was never offered in a Mustang and were 2V engines. The block is wider due to a taller deck height and has a 3" main instead of the 2.75" main in a 351-C.

·
Registered
125 Posts
first digit - 0 - 1970
sec digit - F - Dearborn
third digit - ?
fourth digit - 5 - body serial code
fifth digit - M - engine code 351-4V

Cleveland fuel pump bolts are verticle.
Windsor fuel pump bolts are horizontal.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Are you sure it isn't a W? In 1970 Ford was phasing out the Cleveland (C) to replace it with the Windsor (W). It's going to be either a 351C or 351W.

·
Registered
787 Posts
1970 was the first year for the 351c engine I owned two . The 1969 model cars had 351 w engines and that was the first year for the w engine. Both engines will bolt up to the small block bell housing. The 351m was a truck engine and appeared later around 75 and bolted to the big block bell housings. 90lx bracket car

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
351/c

Yup, it has 8bolts so a 351c it is ,
It has a Crane cam grind number SR-238/350-2S-12 INSTALED what would be a good distributor ,Crane said I should use a steel distributor gear . like there Pro-Curve Billet Distributor #1000-1605
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you sure it isn't a W? In 1970 Ford was phasing out the Cleveland (C) to replace it with the Windsor (W). It's going to be either a 351C or 351W.
You have that backwards, 1970 was the first year of the Cleveland, and Ford was phasing out the windsor with the Cleveland in cars, and the 351-400m in trucks. Fords entire plan was to axe the windsor entirely but due to insurance, emmissions, and fuel economy they reversed the decision later in the '70s

As far as I know no 351w or 351m was ever placed in the bay of 71-73 mustangs from the factory, few 351ws were placed in the '70 model. Although 302 windsors were still available.

Still wish ford had given us 302 Clevelands instead of letting the Aussies have all the fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to clarify though, 351Ms were primarily a truck motor (or large car motor) They had a larger stroke and smaller bore for better torque characteristics. Also all had identical heads to the 351c 2V, none were 4 barrel

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Just to clarify though, 351Ms were primarily a truck motor (or large car motor) They had a larger stroke and smaller bore for better torque characteristics. Also all had identical heads to the 351c 2V, none were 4 barrel
Not true. All 351's have the same bore and stroke (4.00x3.50). The M's had a taller deck height and a longer con rod.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Yeah the m is a tiny bit bigger then the c but yes stock the mustang never got the m but who knows whats been done to the car in its life time.To know for sure pull off your starter and look on the block for casting code numbers those can tell what it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, its on wikipedia, M code means 351 cleveland 4V, good engine, I've got two of them sitting in my garage
The discussion was on 351 Modifieds (351M) vs 351 Clevelands (351C) an M code cleveland is still a 351C.

(now if I can talk you into handing me over one of those)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here you go

The last post is correct. Its confusing, the "M" in the VIN means that you have a 351C=Cleveland while later in 1975 an emissions engine designated 351M was produced. The use of the two "M"s by Ford is confusing.
The "M" VIN code engine is not a 351M it is a 351C, a very good and somewhat rare high performance, 10.7-1 compression, 2 bolt, 300hp engine. Hope this helps. :wavey

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.