Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a show last night on Street Racing in Canada. They were busting all kinds of people and they were saying NOS is not legal in a street car. So what are the rules here in the states? I looked at the Califonia law and it's pretty vague. I can't see where a 10 pound bottle of NOS is any more dangerous than the 55 gallon LP tank I had in the bed of my dual fuel Ranchero.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Check the DOT regulations for transportation of compressed gasses and manditory cylinder hydrostatic testing periods.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DOT website is too confusing. I did find this and a search for Nitrous Oxide pulled up a few states where legislation is pending. California isn't one of them.

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
DOT regulations only apply to COMMERCIAL carriers of hazardous materials.

'Nawz' is legal in all 50 states thanks to the after market lobby. Yes, there is one! :eyepoppin

The only current assualt is by the EPA as it's supposed to effect the ozone layer... :laughlitt

Your local laws may vary, but generally speaking it is NOT illegal in the US as long as it is used in the intended way. Start letting people breathe the stuff and you are breaking OTHER laws. :winks

·
Registered
708 Posts
It was my understanding the DOT controlls all NOS, Compressed air and CO2 cylinder expiration dates/testing periods. Excluding 2.5" Diameter and below, commercial or not. As well as the commercial/aircraft transport of cylinders.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
It's all about the quanity involved.

For instance, take a work crew with a welder on a trailer. The cylinders must be labeled individually, but the quanity is below DOT regulation. For compressed gas the cylinder must be labled.

Yes, there are requirements for testing of the cylinders, but the PRIVATE use falls in a grey area.

The regs are getting a little tigher and another reason to vote Republican as the EPA HATES ole GW! :laughlitt

·
Registered
886 Posts
I saw that show!! How sad that the top dog, fastest s-o-b was running a personal best of 13.1???!!! And who thought the old dude with the 1.3L Mazda 323 was a good one to ride with? Geez!

around here, it is illegal to have it connected on the street, but we aren't harassed like the poor guys on the show. "Stop any car that's modified" says the cop "there's only one reason some one modifies a car."
Locally, you are also required to have some kind of nitrous logo on thr back end in case of wrecks, to assist the emergency guys in running the he77 away.

'Course, that comes second hand from the guys on juice. I'm still n/a.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, and when the Mazda didn't measure up he brings out a poor running RX7. Then for the BIG race he shows up in a Miata. :happyhapp Is it just me - or do you notice that most street racers are RICERS ??? Must be the "Little Man" complex expressed via your car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do the vendors advertise "Off Road Use Only"? That should be a good indicator. Although they sell the product, I'm pretty sure they're obligated / required to notify you if something is not street legal (just like straight pipes... technically).

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
By labeling a product 'For Off Road Only' , the manfacturer does not need to submit the item for approval to say it's '50 States Smog Legal' or some such labeling. If you buy the product and install it you cannot hold the manfacturer to the smoh legal standard.

The tests are very expensive and California has very restrictive requirements making some modifications out and out illegal.

Bypassing the smog requirements is a Great American Pastime right up there with baseball and hotdogs! :winks

·
Registered
18 Posts
But not referring to legal with regards to emissions. I assume this thread means, is it street legal. I suppose anyone with intent to install NOS in their car means to use it to outrun the poor sucker he or she is next too. In THAT case (especially if you're on the street) then it's illegal, seeing as how all street racing is illegal (2horseowner, that's what you were initially getting at, right?)...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looking at 2horseowner's initial post, I guess the last statement about carrying around 10lbs of nitrous as opposed to 55 gallon LP is indicating the nature or safety of the application. Everyone knows nitrous is an incredibly volatile substance, and in the case of an accident, you're probably increasing the chance of injury exponentially. I wouldn't want to get rear ended with any amount of that stuff in my trunk, and the problem is, you could get rear ended at any time and any speed.

Personally, I think there's too much physical risk both to the operator and to the engine (if it isn't setup just right).

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Sandwich said:
Everyone knows nitrous is an incredibly volatile substance

WHAT??? Nitrous is not volatile at all. It's not even flammable. It's unreactive with most every substance. It's very safe. It's the same stuff you get at the dentist. There is danger in the fact that it is a compressed gas in liquid form, however as soon as it is below about 700 psi it is no longer liquid and extremely safe. I have a bottle in the trunk and never give it second thought as far as worrying about being rear ended.

I think some people think that because it makes your car go faster than with just gas it must be dangerous like gasoline. It only make yours engine burn fuel more efficiently by adding and extra 10% oxygen over air normally sucked into the engine, and by reducing intake air temperature.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sandwich said:
But not referring to legal with regards to emissions. I assume this thread means, is it street legal. I suppose anyone with intent to install NOS in their car means to use it to outrun the poor sucker he or she is next too. In THAT case (especially if you're on the street) then it's illegal, seeing as how all street racing is illegal (2horseowner, that's what you were initially getting at, right?)...

Yes - I would assume getting caught using it would be illegal but I was referring to having it installed. Here in California if you purge on the street it could be considered inciting a street race. Aside from the emissions standpoint which really shouldn't matter (but probably does) since you wouldn't be "on the bottle" during the emissions test. And I was referring to the compressed gas issue vs. my 55 gallon LP tank as I know that NOS alone is not a flammable substance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
5twenty said:
WHAT??? Nitrous is not volatile at all. It's not even flammable. It's unreactive with most every substance. It's very safe. It's the same stuff you get at the dentist. There is danger in the fact that it is a compressed gas in liquid form, however as soon as it is below about 700 psi it is no longer liquid and extremely safe. I have a bottle in the trunk and never give it second thought as far as worrying about being rear ended.

I think some people think that because it makes your car go faster than with just gas it must be dangerous like gasoline. It only make yours engine burn fuel more efficiently by adding and extra 10% oxygen over air normally sucked into the engine, and by reducing intake air temperature.
Gotcha. My mistake (and assumption). I still don't think that I'd want a bottle in my trunk in the event of a rear end collision. I may not want to chance a leak and it happen to mix with the wrong substance. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Any compressed gas poses a hazard, but compared to gasoline is minor. :winks

·
Registered
767 Posts
Tominator said:
'Nawz' is legal in all 50 states thanks to the after market lobby. Yes, there is one! :eyepoppin

The only current assualt is by the EPA as it's supposed to effect the ozone layer... :laughlitt
Not entirely correct. You would have to know the bill number to search properly all 50 states, and I don't. But I reciently saw a news story about "street racing" and they mentioned HB2086. So I googled it, and this came up
"THE NITROUS OXIDE PROHIBITION ACT"
http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/2005/scripts/ablr/bills/bills.asp?billno=HB2086

I am sure that other states have a similiar bill/law. The news story did say it was a national law, but I have not been able to verify.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Currently not scheduled on any agenda
The bill is tied up in commitee. Another way to say it's dead. It was not passed.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Ohio's official book states simply that the transportation of Nitrous oxide... included in a list of other gases, is Strictly.. Illegal without permit. THis includes in a tailor or car on a trailor.

Now, in GA... I got stoped with it in my Z28... unrelated traffic stop, but the officer gave me a friendly reminder that is was not allowed in the City Limits of Ft. Oglethorpe. He didn't say in the state, just locally. So who knows.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
5twenty said:
WHAT??? Nitrous is not volatile at all. It's not even flammable.
well now twenty i donno.... according to this guy, he left his bottle heater on for a couple of hours, it overheated the bottle and blew the piss out of his POS ricer...:laughlitt sounds like he sued Nitrous Express over the deal too. i am afraid it sounds like nos is explosive and volitile under the right set of circumstances. it is VERY RARE though. this is the only story i have heard. i wouldnt chunk a bottle in the campfire on fourth of july for kicks at any rate.... this wont stop me from having it though, i have a little device called a pressure gauge:happyhapp keeps things like this from happening:

http://www.enhancedhealth.com/explosionPic3.jpg

http://www.enhancedhealth.com/pict1277.jpg

http://www.enhancedhealth.com/nitrousexpress.htm

but hey, my motto on this is....if you cant stand the heat (or hold the pressure:laughlitt ) stay out of the nitrous game.:happyhapp

on another funny note, i can only imagine how that went down...

Dispatcher: "911, please state your emergency:"

Guy with blown up car: "my NOS bottle just blew up my ricer!"

Dispatcher: "sir stay on the line, we have help en route...."

Dispatcher: (to cop on radio) "please respond to a report of a ricer nitrous explosion at...."

Cop: :heha: ....all the way to the call..... miracle he didnt crash out running code....

:tongue

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.