Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, not sure whether or not this is considered technical enough for the Tech forum, so if I'm misposting, sorry! I was just wondering if putting premium unleaded in my 00' V6 was really worth the extra cost. The guy who owned it before me :)happyhapp Just bought it today...my 25th b-day present!!) filled it with only premium, but I was under the impression that premium wasn't necessary, and didn't offer anythign other than a tiny bit cleaner burn. With gas rapidly becoming as valuable as liquid gold, I was hoping to shave a bit off my fuel costs, so if I'm not really gaining anything from it, I'd just as soon not pay extra. Can anyone tell me if it's really going to be worth it? My Mustang is stock now, so there's not any compression changes to speak of, I know that can affect the minimum octane required to prevent knock...but truth told, I just can't see how a domestic car less than 6 years old would need that high of an octane rating to run right.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
FreePonyRides said:
Hi, not sure whether or not this is considered technical enough for the Tech forum, so if I'm misposting, sorry! I was just wondering if putting premium unleaded in my 00' V6 was really worth the extra cost. The guy who owned it before me :)happyhapp Just bought it today...my 25th b-day present!!) filled it with only premium, but I was under the impression that premium wasn't necessary, and didn't offer anythign other than a tiny bit cleaner burn. With gas rapidly becoming as valuable as liquid gold, I was hoping to shave a bit off my fuel costs, so if I'm not really gaining anything from it, I'd just as soon not pay extra. Can anyone tell me if it's really going to be worth it? My Mustang is stock now, so there's not any compression changes to speak of, I know that can affect the minimum octane required to prevent knock...but truth told, I just can't see how a domestic car less than 6 years old would need that high of an octane rating to run right.
no, it's worthless unless it's tuned for more octane.

anything higher than regular is money into big oil's pockets, and out of yours.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I always get premium unleaded, but I usually buy V-Power from my local Shell station. I think its worth it for the engine care and cleaner burn. Then again, everyone in my family buys premium unleaded, so I guess its just a habit I grew up with.

·
Registered
554 Posts
mac_mogul said:
I always get premium unleaded, but I usually buy V-Power from my local Shell station. I think its worth it for the engine care and cleaner burn. Then again, everyone in my family buys premium unleaded, so I guess its just a habit I grew up with.

Sorry to hear about this. I actually agree with KS for once. If your car's timing does not require premium, you might as well dump your money down the drain. If you keep doing it after you read this, you might be considered a "SUCKER"

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang...that was quick!

Thanks for the answers, looks like he's been overpaying for years, just like I thought! Sadly, with prices what they are now...it still seems like premium anyway! Here in AZ, we have the highest avg. pump price in the SW region...:weeps I'd say hopefully things will get better soon, but I predicted last year that 3.00+ at the pumps would hit before this Thanksgiving...and I'm afraid that my next prediction will come true, so I'm not even speculating out loud anymore. :happyhapp

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you're getting knocking/pinging during heavy acceleration or going up hill, go from regular (87) to middle (89) octane. Still getting it, go to premium (91).

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Junkman said:
If you're getting knocking/pinging during heavy acceleration or going up hill, go from regular (87) to middle (89) octane. Still getting it, go to premium (91).
yeah, but if you're knocking & pinging with a stock tune -you've got other problems you need to deal with.

Switching octanes only slightly delays the inevitable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.