Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to change the oil in my 2006 GT and replace it with Royal Purple. Is there a preferred filter to use with that? Or will any of the known name brands do?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just changed my oil to Royal Purple and have a K&N Gold filter on it currently. They are convenient because there's a 1" socket fitting on the bottom so you don't need to bother with a filter wrench.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I use Motorcraft, but I have used Mobil. Both seem to work well. I, too, have heard bad stories about Fram.

G

·
I use Motorcraft, but I have used Mobil. Both seem to work well. I, too, have heard bad stories about Fram.
Interesting... must be certain ones or certain applications. On my 03 F-350 Diesel you want to use either a Motorcraft, Fram or IH branded filter (stay away from WIX or other "will-fit" filters they say)... but all three of those are just re-branded Racor filters. Point in fact, I just stuck a Fram in during my last oil change...

Now, on my 05 GT, I use RP oil and usually a Wix filter. Wasn't real impressed with the Wix filter that I'd previously stuck in the F350, so I'm still debating about what filter to use in the 'stang... but I've a few thousand miles before I need worry about another decision.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Interesting... must be certain ones or certain applications. On my 03 F-350 Diesel you want to use either a Motorcraft, Fram or IH branded filter (stay away from WIX or other "will-fit" filters they say)... but all three of those are just re-branded Racor filters. Point in fact, I just stuck a Fram in during my last oil change...

Now, on my 05 GT, I use RP oil and usually a Wix filter. Wasn't real impressed with the Wix filter that I'd previously stuck in the F350, so I'm still debating about what filter to use in the 'stang... but I've a few thousand miles before I need worry about another decision.
I've had great success with NAPA Gold filters (which I believe are also made by Wix).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Was debating about whether to use Royal Purple or not. There have been some "interesting" threads gone through here as to what oil (funny how when all is said and done, it's just a lubricant but some swear it adds noticeable horsepower :laugh:) is best.

In the end, I just used Mobil 1 filter and oil. $82 oil change though done through a garage... and I don't think it should cost that much but whatever oil you use, just make sure it's a reputable brand with a proven track record.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Was debating about whether to use Royal Purple or not. There have been some "interesting" threads gone through here as to what oil (funny how when all is said and done, it's just a lubricant but some swear it adds noticeable horsepower :laugh:) is best.

In the end, I just used Mobil 1 filter and oil. $82 oil change though done through a garage... and I don't think it should cost that much but whatever oil you use, just make sure it's a reputable brand with a proven track record.
$82??? :happyhapp Man I'm glad I can do mine in my garage. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
$85 is high, even for synthetic. I think the oil +filter costs me around $45, plus maybe 30 minutes of my time.

I bought a case of Royal Purple 5W30 on Amazon.com for $81. That's a good price in case you're looking to buy. I have an amazon prime membership so 2 day shipping was free. :bigthumbsup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.