Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

Im new to the forum but looking for some advice. I am looking to change my stock 1969 Mustang hood with a 3 inch cowl induction fiberglass hood.

Being that its fiberglass and much lighter than the original, will the stock hood lifts be too strong for the fiberglass hood or should I invest in a new lift kit?

Also will the stock latch hold the hood from flying off at high speeds?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
yes the stock springs are too strong. the recomendations range from using special light weight springs to no springs and a prop rod to, in my opinion, the best option the ring brothers aluminum hinges with gas charged struts. they work so well it is unbelievable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The springs on the stock hood hinges are way too strong for a fiberglass hood. in fact, they are so strong that using them with a fiberglass hood will damage the hood. The ring brothers billet hinges are nice, but will run you over $600 for a set. light weight springs made for fiberglass hoods are available from any mustang parts dealer. the stock latch will hold the hood closed with no problem.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
1hot65 have you looked at eddiemotorsports.com there hinges are cheaper but don't ask what hood tho_Or shopfesler.com has more options to his billet hinges too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
my buddie was looking up a hood for my mustang and there is this hardcore hood that they show being ran over and it pops back in to place. it runs 600 bucks but thats what im looking at right now.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
my buddie was looking up a hood for my mustang and there is this hardcore hood that they show being ran over and it pops back in to place. it runs 600 bucks but thats what im looking at right now.

the biggest problem with the fiberglass hood, carbon fiber or any of the other flexible hoods, when using the stock springs it is not so much that the hood will break, it might, but no matter how careful you are those hoods are going to flex and when they do the paint is going to crack. that is first thing you will see. that is why the lightweight hinge springs or the use of a prop rod are recommended. the ring brothers and those other versions are nice but as mentioned they are pricey.

they are cool looking though

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts