Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is Supercharger good enough?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  TwoTonedRoush 
#1 ·
Ok guys my parents have left me with 2 choices, trade my 02 GT with some stuff in for a 68 camaro, or put a supercharger in my car along with the rest of my exhaust(headers). I was just wondering, if i keep my car will i be able to beat a lightning with ud-pullies with that extra stuff? I know that a 68 camaro would be pretty awesome, but a 400+ hp stang would be pretty cool. I would also like to get somewhat close to run with a z06 possibly. Thanks guys.

#3 ·
I would get the 68 and build it up but if you keep th e 02 and add the blower it would be a nice ride too that shouldnt have too much trouble with a lightning but the Z06? Your going to need more than just a blower to run with it, especially any where other than a straight line.

#5 ·
I just want to be able to run with my friend that has a 93 rx7 with 315rwhp. Its pretty quick because its such a light car, and it has amazing handleing...leaves a stang in the dust. Anway i just wanna be able to take him on along with my other friend that has a 03 lightning with some pullies....i wanna be the one leading the pack for a chance

#6 ·
4.10's on a blown car are a waste. You'll sit there spinning the tires and not going anywhere unless you have almost a 300 width tire. 3.73's on a blown car are perfect from what I've heard so far. Other than that, the list that twotoned put up is good. Don't forget about a throttle body and plenum to let that blower really move some air in and a good exhaust to let it out.

#7 ·
I agree, on a blown car the 4.10's are just too much unless you have a really good suspension, I would go as far down as 3.55's if you want to still have a decent top end.
Unless your talking about just leading the pack on 1/4 mile run.

I think if your really serious about beating that RX7 your going to need to start from the ground up and build the suspension then work on the power. (including exhaust.)

#8 ·
A clean 68 Camaro is hard to find. If it has a big block or has a 4 spd I would go with the 68. You can always find a Mustang at a reasonable price but most 60's Camaros go up in price every year. Trick out the Camaro then save your money and buy a 89 or newer LX or GT 5.0. Then build a stroker forged bottom with a good set of AFR heads, a good cam, and the usual bolt ons. After that stuff a blower on it and run low 11's or mid 10's depending on your boost. You can have the best of both worlds a retirement purchase (68 Camaro) and a great daily driver (LX or GT 5.0) Also the LX or GT's are much cheaper to work on than the newer Mustangs. Now before anybody gets their panties in a wad just remember I have 3 Mustangs of my own (87LX 331 Carbed 5 spd/91GT Boss 351C swap 5spd/ 97GT 5spd PI head swap in progress) but I also have 1 76 Nova SS 355 4spd & a 78 Golden Bandit Trans Am 455 auto.

#9 ·
This winter with my new motor I'm putting in south side lift bars and adjustable upper control arms, with the torque box reinforcements and driveshaft safety loop. Not to mention I have 275/40r18's all the way around. I currently have 4:10's on the car with a triax shifter exhaust and a procharger running 8-9 psi pulley. Don't do a throttle body if your going to do a supercharger its a waste of money you'll just end up blowing your motor. The car had 370rwhp running rich with a cracked piston, the car could move but it did nothing but spun the tires. It would roast them all the way through 1st, 2nd, and half of third. The lift bars will more then fix this problem. So I say do the 4:10's and the supercharger just have a good traction system. By the way I bought a 4.6 dohc cobra motor since my last one blew can't wait till spring!

#10 ·
MattKelley02GT said:
Ok guys my parents have left me with 2 choices, trade my 02 GT with some stuff in for a 68 camaro, or put a supercharger in my car along with the rest of my exhaust(headers). I was just wondering, if i keep my car will i be able to beat a lightning with ud-pullies with that extra stuff? I know that a 68 camaro would be pretty awesome, but a 400+ hp stang would be pretty cool. I would also like to get somewhat close to run with a z06 possibly. Thanks guys.
Classic Muscle roules!

Don't give me wrong, I really like my Mustag, but I love my R/T Challenger.
Don't expect to have a reliable car with the Camaro, but wit a nice exhaust and a nice paint job they are among the sweetest cars on the street...

But that's just my 2C

#11 ·
Thanks guys i think that im going to do a vortech s/c, along with 3.73's. I think im doing the torque box reenforecements and some suspension also. I was just wondering if i should add the aftercooler later on? Thanks guys

#12 ·
I would go ahead and do it while you're in there busting knuckles. If you do the blower without it and get it tuned, you'd have to get it retuned after the cooler install. You'll save yourself a tune session and all the money if you do it all at once.

#13 ·
MattKelley02GT said:
Thanks guys i think that im going to do a vortech s/c, along with 3.73's. I think im doing the torque box reenforecements and some suspension also. I was just wondering if i should add the aftercooler later on? Thanks guys
What's your HP goal?

If you want to stay within 100 HP you should be fine w/o. If you already think about a future project, I would already now go with the cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.